Death by scorpion

davidbarber1

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
We have all read the thread on "level 1-5 scorps" and who should and should not keep them. But, does anybody personally know of, or has heard of any scorp keepers that have died from envenomation? Just an interesting question I thought I'd ask.

David

canadianscorp

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thats an interesting question David. I have never heard of anyone getting killed as a scorp keeper. I am thinking this is because even in the wild almost all scorpion envenomations of the known dangerous scorpion spp are said to have occured completely by accident, IE; stepping on the scorp, grabbing it by mistake (under a rock). These circumstances would almost never happen to keepers of "hotter spp". Most Andros, Parabuthus ect.. are very defensive ,and it takes a heck of alot of aggetation for them to even think about a stinging motion. And i dont think their is anyone stupid enough to piss off any dangerous scorp to the point of getting envenomated.
Then again this is just a theory.

cheers
steve

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
David,

Personally, I've never heard of or read any reports in the literature of any captive scorp killing its keeper.
Also, as Steve states above, many of the "hot" species are typically not as ready and willing to "sting" as their reputations would have folks believing. Even my groups of largely energetic, erratic and volatile A. bicolor and A. crassicauda will rapidly bolt into retreats or take shelter in or against nearby cover when their enclosures are disturbed.
Personally, all of my Hadrurus are more prone to becoming defensive and attempting to "sting" than all of my Androctonus (32 specimens) combined! So, based on my own personal experience with Androctonus, I'd say a person would actually have to either provoke the scorpion for an extended period of time or actually grab the scorpion. The same also proves true for many other "hot" species I've kept in the past.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i seem to remember a post within the last year on the boards about a keeper in europe who may have had an alergic reaction from an envenomation from a P imp. not too sure what to look for with the search function though.

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
a cricket that has an emp, even the cicket was able to take care of the emp for about 2yrs.

but one day when the cricket got hungy it tried to eat the emps plant inside the tank...

of course the owner was killed by its pet, actually it is worse, he was eaten by the scorp...

(LOL! cricket 2yrs+ old? maybe 2weeks LMAO!!!)