M. robustum & Substrate

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i know they need a high moisture retention in their substrate... the potting soil i use eventually dries up, and once it does you can't keep it moist without just pouring water all over the cage (and then i worry about mites/gnats/mold).

would adding green moss (sold at pet stores as bedding) or peat moss to potting soil (50/50 mix) be an effective way to keep the soil moist? i can't find vermaculite, so it's not really an option. :(

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I too have this species. I don't believe the entire enclosure needs to be "wet" but rather provide a large shallow dish on some peatmoss (I use it exclusively) and the spillover from the dish will keep part of the substrate moist all the time. If you have good ventilation you should not have severe problems with mold, fungus ect. Good Luck!!! :)

Cory Loomis

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A 50:50 mix of topsoil and peat moss should be fine. They do need the moisture, but don't keep the enclosure wet. I let mine get almost dry between waterings/feedings.

Garrick

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Vermiculite IS an option in your town (I've been through there- it ain't remote). . .you might have to spend $12-15, but a Home Depot or Lowe's will have it. Wal-mart, Kmart, etc. don't seem to carry it lately. The big hardware stores sell it by the cubic foot in large brown bags in the garden area, so that's why the high price.

If you've got peat moss, throw 20-50% horticultural grain vermiculite in there, soak it down, squeeze out excess, and humidity forever is yours.

Let your fingers do the walking.

Garrick
eight

MRL

Arachnolord
Old Timer
kitty_b said:
i know they need a high moisture retention in their substrate... the potting soil i use eventually dries up, and once it does you can't keep it moist without just pouring water all over the cage (and then i worry about mites/gnats/mold).

would adding green moss (sold at pet stores as bedding) or peat moss to potting soil (50/50 mix) be an effective way to keep the soil moist? i can't find vermaculite, so it's not really an option. :(
I use 100% peat and even when it dries up I give it a heavy misting and they do fine. I don't think they're that sensitive to humidity as other sp but I know they can tolerate really high levels since I kept a big female from semi-dry to extremely humid and it was fine both ways.