Found lunar moth eggs... how to care for them?

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I found a dead lunar moth today, freshly killed by i believe it was my cat, and it had eggs coming all out of its body. They were round yellow eggs and hard, some were busted open but i salvaged about a dozen of them that werent damaged in any way. I took them and put them in a container and wrapped them up with damp sphagnum moss and stored them away. Is this the correct way to deal with them? I have no idea how to care for the eggs. I believe the eggs were about to be laid, because they are quite formed and hard. Any information would be much appreciated... Thanks...

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im thinking this wasnt a lunar moth... i cant really tell much by the carcass because its pretty well destroyed as far as the wings and such go, but it appears to have yellow colored wings and it is very very large, about the same size of lunar moths i have seen (which appear to be the really big green ones)... any help IDing would also be helpful... also i live in Michigan.

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lunar moths might have a difficult time living on Earth.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LOL. Just keep the eggs for a few days and tell us if you see any color changes with them.

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is that Mothra!!!!

I have luna caterpillers right now and they really enjoy eating Sweetgum. They are also known to eat walnut, hickory, butternut, oak, beech, birch, willow. Check your neighborhood to see what is available as a host plant and be ready. Do not put leaves in with eggs. Some say that the leaves give off CO2 which tops the eggs from hatching.

Best of luck to you!