Does anyone else feed the small spiders.....

Arachnobrian

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
around your home?

I have a small screened room (sun room) which has a couple of different spiders residing in various corners. I have started feeding them my soon to die crickets. There is a one of those really fast grey little guys you see eveywhere, and a couple which have a similar body style to a widow, she even has an egg sac.

I actually witnessed the widow type possibly mate, there were two smaller ones dancing on her web one morning. Since then, they have moved to the other side of the room and set up webs.

They will attack and kill prey much larger than themselves, utilizing webs to imobilize, very entertaining to watch.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My basement is only half finished so I have various spiders,gnats,beetles,silverfish,and pillbugs in it. The spiders adapt well, and when I used to buy crickets I would let a few go for the spiders. Some crickets lived and made their way outside, others didnt. I have at least 5 species of spiders in my basement, from big fat ones,to fast ones, to small,slender white ones.

surena

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I used to do that when I was about 10 years old. I remember looking everywhere to find bugs so I could throw them in a spider web and study the result. Now that I have my own collection, I don't have the time.....

mackids

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yea I do that all the time! my 2 year old niece and I find small beetles and moths and throw it in the webs of various spiders. She loves to watch the spiders come out if they happen to be hiding. Sometimes I will throw a small centi in and see what happens, kinda like that animal face off show.