Argiope trifasciata and Argiope aurantia photos

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I took a walk this morning to see what I could see. We had a sprinkle of rain which I figured would be good to get some critters moving. Argiope trifasciata were out in abundance. Most were smallish immature specimens, but I did see a few larger specimens. In the fall I usually found some huge A. trifasciata females in the area. Interestingly, I did not see even one Argiope argentata on this outing. I usually spot at least a couple.

This is an Argiope trifasciata with an unidentified beetle in her web.

Argiope trifasciata male - I found this little male hanging out on a female's web.

I have never found Argiope aurantia in this area, but I know they are here. I have never seen one so skinny. Does this look like A. aurantia? I'm in the San Diego area.

Enjoy! :)

Last edited:

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I hear you Lelle. I'm still not sure. I have found big fat dark black and yellow A. aurantia back east before. They also had that dark black coloration on their pattern. It may just be natural color variation. This is also the first time I've seen one early in the year when they are still fattening up.

There is quite a bit of color variation within A. argentata and A. trifasciata as well. I never know what to expect when I find them. They are all purty spiders though. :)

Here is a Labyrinth spider, Metepeira labyrinthea, from the back yard.

Paladin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
is that what theyre called? with teh interesting zipline connecting the web mass to the actual orb......probably one of my favorite spiders, too bad they arent very large

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
very nice pictures/spiders,... actually the first time i've seen a male Argiope :)

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Paladin,

As far as I have been able to find out they are Labyrinth spiders. They are several in the back yard. Yes, these are the ones that build the big mass of debris that is connected to the main orb with a strand of webbing. I have to say I like them quite a bit myself. If they were just a touch larger they would be even more incredible.

Steven,

This is the first time I have noticed a male A. trifasciata myself. I wish I would have taken more photos of him.