Centipede in a rubbermaid?

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Now, Im positive a centipde could escape a sterilite storage container, but how about a rubbermaid?

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
tyrel said:
Now, Im positive a centipde could escape a sterilite storage container, but how about a rubbermaid?
I doubt that. I keep all 5 of my pedes in sterlite containers, and they couldnt escape if their lives depended on it. Plus, each container is at LEAST twice the length of each pede.

tyrel

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Scorp guy said:
I doubt that. I keep all 5 of my pedes in sterlite containers, and they couldnt escape if their lives depended on it. Plus, each container is at LEAST twice the length of each pede.
Really? I thought that sterilite lids were kinda flimsy. I use one for my vinnegaroon, just because it's quieter to open. I'm not sure I would trust a Big pede in one.

You think that the rubbermaids would work then?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
unless you stack something on the lid or take other measures a centipede can for sure escape from a sterilite.

a S. polymorpha escaped on my brother and iirc there have been a few ppl on here

the lids don't lock in grooves, there is a seperate kind of locking tab. i suspect the cents wedge their head under and work any leverage they can get until they've pushed themselves thru

i think jars and jugs are even more secure than rubbermaid, but i use both

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
unless you stack something on the lid or take other measures a centipede can for sure escape from a sterilite.

a S. polymorpha escaped on my brother and iirc there have been a few ppl on here

the lids don't lock in grooves, there is a seperate kind of locking tab. i suspect the cents wedge their head under and work any leverage they can get until they've pushed themselves thru

i think jars and jugs are even more secure than rubbermaid, but i use both
I doubt that, really. My two 6 and 7" yellowlegs are in them, and the containers have locking lids on them, tell me how it could escape? they cant. They snap on, and are just as fine and dandy as rubbermaid. Like i said, i keep all 18 (soon to be 22 by the end of the week {D ) in sterlite containers, never had a single escape, and they lock easy, and the lids are easy to make holes for ventalation.

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
In anticipation of getting my first pede next month (hopefully), I took a Sterilite container, with the locking tabs, and modified it. Just took some picture-hanging hooks and epoxied them on, one on each end of the tank, two on the front and two on the back. Then I stretched rubber bands over the hooks, so that in addition to the (admittedly-flimsy-feeling) plastic tab locks, there are 3 elastic bands stretched taut over the lid. I may even double 'em up so there are six. Feels pretty secure to me.

PS - At first I used a hot glue gun to stick the hooks on, but they came flying off within minutes of pulling the elastic bands over them. Epoxy rules. I wouldn't use a hot glue gun to seal an envelope, that stuff sucks. :rolleyes:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Scorp guy said:
I doubt that, really. My two 6 and 7" yellowlegs are in them, and the containers have locking lids on them, tell me how it could escape? they cant. They snap on, and are just as fine and dandy as rubbermaid. Like i said, i keep all 18 (soon to be 22 by the end of the week {D ) in sterlite containers, never had a single escape, and they lock easy, and the lids are easy to make holes for ventalation.
what is there to doubt? the centipede escaped.

keep using them if you want, but i am not inclined to have a centipede wandering around my apartment

Wade doesn't like them either
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=337680&postcount=14

you all are, of course, free to do as you wish... but keeping a centipede in a container that is demonstrably escapable seems a little foolish to me

in fact, thinking back i had a centipede that i thought died and turned to dirt... but i think it escaped from a sterilite too.

Last edited:

Spike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Since i will be getting my first pede soon this thread intrests me as well. When you say jars do you mean like glass jars with the metal lids? (ex. pickle jar)If so how do you drill holes on the lid if not what do you have?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Spike said:
Since i will be getting my first pede soon this thread intrests me as well. When you say jars do you mean like glass jars with the metal lids? (ex. pickle jar)If so how do you drill holes on the lid if not what do you have?
i have used glass jars, but prefer plastic ones

ShadowSpectrum said:
I would think a plastic jar, such as http://www.aspenweaver.com/geocache/geocache_build/part_jar.jpg so you can drill/melt ventilation holes.

<edit>Caco, my birthday is coming up so I'll be getting some money and I want to buy my first pedes. Could you show me what you keep yours in? I know "jars and jugs" but could you supply a picture? Or explain.
http://venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1850
a how to make a jug i made. that is for a giant jug, but you can scale it down to any size

Spike said:
They dont need more floor space?
no, as long as they can burrow down they will do well with relatively little floor space

iturnrocks

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Im sure youve seen people that raise snakes or rodents in rubbermaid or sterlite containers that slide into a shelf type thing like drawers so they dont use a lid. I would think you could have the same result by building your cabinet to match same sized containers with the lids on and the top would serve to hold the lid on tight.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
what is there to doubt? the centipede escaped.
I guess you dont read, do you. I have never had a centipede escape, period. Like i said, there is no way, if kept right, a centipede could escape from a sterlite container. NO, IT CAN-NOT wedge its head in between the gap, there is no real gap, and it would definately die trying, if it could, that is. They lock into small grooves, and lock just fine. I dont see what the huge debate is, they work fine, and until one of my 18 tarantulas, or 5 centipedes escape form there, ill stick with them.

Heck, ill get pics for you to SHOW how it locks.

ShadowSpectrum

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Scorp guy said:
also, did you read what wade said:

:wall: :wall: :wall:
If you read what Wade said, you'll see he says he doesn't use the Sterlites for pedes because they don't snap down. He said the clear carbonite restaurant food storage containers that you can buy at specialty stores are what he thinks are great, NOT the Sterlites, but they are expensive and hard to find.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
ShadowSpectrum said:
If you read what Wade said, you'll see he says he doesn't use the Sterlites for pedes because they don't snap down. He said the clear carbonite restaurant food storage containers that you can buy at specialty stores are what he thinks are great, NOT the Sterlites, but they are expensive and hard to find.
i see. I use sterlites,because they are $2.50 for the ones i use, and for my bigger t's like my 6" parahybana, they are only about $5.00 or less, and they snap into a groove under the lid. So far, i've had no escapees, and they stack well and are easy to store.

ShadowSpectrum

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Scorp guy said:
i see. I use sterlites,because they are $2.50 for the ones i use, and for my bigger t's like my 6" parahybana, they are only about $5.00 or less, and they snap into a groove under the lid. So far, i've had no escapees, and they stack well and are easy to store.
I'm not saying they are good or not, I was just pointing out that you misinterpreted Wade's comment.

dGr8-1

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello everyone.
I'm currently new to this hobby and is seriously considering of getting a centipede.
How would a "Pet Home" or "Kritter Keeper" do for centipedes?

Hope to hear from you guys.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
dGr8-1 said:
Hello everyone.
I'm currently new to this hobby and is seriously considering of getting a centipede.
How would a "Pet Home" or "Kritter Keeper" do for centipedes?

Hope to hear from you guys.

i don't know what a pet home is, but a kritter keeper is probably not a good idea.

when the pede is small it can fit through the ventilation slats in a kritter. when it is larger they have a tendency to climb up and hang out on the roof, which makes maintenence a little more exciting than most ppl would like.

centipedes are good escape artists for a number of reasons.
1) when the "mood" strikes them they are insanely dedicated to finding a way out
2) they can compress their bodies MUCH flatter than you might expect
3) it has been suggested, and i kind of agree from seeing certain things, that they can use their long bodies to get leverage and augment their already not inconsiderably strength to pry things open