avic feeding

Gustavo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how should i go about feeding my avic ? put cricket in the web or just release in enclosure?

stargell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The best results I've gotten have been placing the cricket in the web.

Sometimes my avic avic will eat the crick off the feeding tongs, though.

Icey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Gustavo said:
how should i go about feeding my avic ? put cricket in the web or just release in enclosure?
Either way works well, course the advantage of putting on the web is that she knows its there right away

hyena65

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Been there done that

Gustavo said:
ok ty this will ill try putting in her web next time
My avic was about 1.5" and would not come down for nothing, so I started putting crickets and mealworms in the web, and it would finally eat, but I was also getting my tongs stuck in the web tearing it up, but that was the only way it would eat until it finally molted. Now it is 2" and now it comes down and catch crickets with no problem so I just throw about three in and let it do its thing. How big is your Avic?:)

pinkfoot

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I'm not convinced that tossing the crix into the web is always the best idea. My A.avicularia, for example, sews herself completely into her web so that I cannot easily see in. My concern is that she might easily moult without my realising this and tossing crix into the web might do more harm than good.

I'd welcome further input, but until then I'd just toss the crix into the tank. That way she'll come down when she's ready.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mine tends to destroy the web after a molt. I usually feed her dubia roaches via tong. I don't shove it in her face, just grasp teh roach by the back legs so it is frantically trying to get away. The movement usually induces a strike.

Gustavo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok ty she is about 2" maybe alittle more i think she is still getting use to the enclosure but ill try putting one in the web in a few days and then on the ground to see if she goes for that ty all for the input

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Just keep in mind, that (IME) avics are not the most ravenous eaters. Perhaps, the T is just not interested in eating. Many of my avic slings go 2 weeks on a small cricket and my adults....months at a time without eating. As for technique, I always attempt tweezer feeding first. If the T doesn't take it, I try to drop the cricket into the web. I think it is an art to be able to "toss" prey and have it land in the tube!!!

Dreaddinit

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
^ Amen! I have a versicolor which is now a ground dweller. Go figure... but I used to just drop the crix in with it. It would either eat or let it go through the web like nothing ever happened. My personal opinion is Avics are nice but they are a pain in the A$$. period. Especially to feed.