First time Millipede owner.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've decided to jump right into keeping Millipedes as a pet. I've ordered the following Millipedes from Petcenter USA:

Fire Millipede
Texas Yellow Millipede
Whiteleg Millipede

Any advice would be greatly appreciated from the more experienced Millipede owners.

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Godzilla,
I only have Desert Yellows. I've noticed mine like it relatively dryish, and enjoy having some pieces of driftwood to climb on/hide under. Quite active, and not too "gooey".
Peace,
Gillian

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Godzilla2000,

the fire millis like moister earth. They are from Madagascar where it is very rainy and humid. It does go through phases there and I believe the rain is lessening over the next ten days so it might be a bit drier there over the next week or two, but usually is quite humid and rainy.

The arboreal white leggeds I should warn you are capable of shooting a noxious substance up to three feet which can damage your eye permanently. I would suggest wearing eyewear when dealing with these. I know someone who had to go to the hospital over this, and the ooze shot from the milli burned his cornea. So just wanted to make sure you were forewarned, thus forearmed. This species also comes from a rainy area in Tanzania. Tanzania also goes through various weather patterns, currently being quite rainy and humid.

Millis eat a wide variety of things, fruits, veggies, rotting leaves and wood, bark, mold, carcasses, etc. The fire millis are diggers, while the white legs like to climb! though they will dig as well. A tall enclosure is best for these.

Make sure they have a waterdish, and potting soil mixed into their substrate. I personally use a peat moss/potting soil mix with my millis.

Hope this helps a little.

Take care,

Paul