2 different color morph

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
2 different color morph of A.crassicauda. First set is from Jordan and the 2nd set is from Israel

A.crassicauda (Jordan) - maroon pedipalps, maroon body

This A.crassicauda (Israel) is probably one my favourite. It looks like she's wearing yellow gloves. Not sure if it's noticeable in pics but it is noticeable when it's infront of you. I tried brighting the pic but it's not showing all that.

A.crassicauda (Israel) - yellow ochre pedipalps, greenish/brownish body, yellow ochre legs

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Deolok said:
Are they naturally that large?
you mean fat? No they aren't naturally fat. The top pic is my gravid fem. I just keep her well fed. The oen from Israel is well fed too :D

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ed,

I have specimens from Egypt, Kuwait and Turkey. The Egyptian specimens are very dark brown; Kuwaiti specimens are jet black with brick-red chelae and the Turkish specimens are jet-black with the lower segments of the legs dark yellow-orange.
There's also some difference in defensive reactions. Specimens from Egypt and Turkey tend to be high-strung and spontaneously defensive. Those from Kuwait are just as high-strung but are not as defensive, preferring to run rather than stand their ground. I think crassi's fall somewhere in between the hyper-high-strung and erratic behaviors of A. bicolor and the lethargic laid-back nature of A. mauritanicus.
They're not A. mauritanicus but they're a nice species overall.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Prymal said:
Ed,

I have specimens from Egypt, Kuwait and Turkey. The Egyptian specimens are very dark brown; Kuwaiti specimens are jet black with brick-red chelae and the Turkish specimens are jet-black with the lower segments of the legs dark yellow-orange.
There's also some difference in defensive reactions. Specimens from Egypt and Turkey tend to be high-strung and spontaneously defensive. Those from Kuwait are just as high-strung but are not as defensive, preferring to run rather than stand their ground. I think crassi's fall somewhere in between the hyper-high-strung and erratic behaviors of A. bicolor and the lethargic laid-back nature of A. mauritanicus.
They're not A. mauritanicus but they're a nice species overall.
The other day, I was running a ruler in my crassi's metasoma to see what she will do. At first and 2nd try she didn't mind but I can see her dropping it's metasoma like she liked it, she was actually following the ruler, waving her metasoma slowly then finally the 3rd time I tried it, all I hear is "whip":eek: . I jumped and my heart started pounding. I was surprised that they can swing their metasoma that fast, so fast that it makes a whipping sound:8o .

All my crassi's would run and hide also except for the gravid females. The gravid fems just stay still or they'd run 3-4 steps forward and stop then run forward again when they hear/feel a little sound or vibration..

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
quiz said:
The other day, I was running a ruler in my crassi's metasoma to see what she will do. At first and 2nd try she didn't mind but I can see her dropping it's metasoma like she liked it, she was actually following the ruler, waving her metasoma slowly then finally the 3rd time I tried it, all I hear is "whip":eek: .
most of my scorps can strike faster than i can see... it's pretty crazy when you think about it

oh yeah, and a black scorp with brick red chelae sounds amazing

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ed,

Bro, that's one of the most amazing things about these cauda-heavy beasts - the amazing speed that they command and the power they can deliver with those heavy metasomas.
However, in my experience with all 5 species being kept in captivity, they tend to rely on discouraging potential and perceived attacks with non-penetrative caudal strikes (clubbing).
Personally, I think their reputation as an "aggressive" group of scorpions is far blown-out of proportion. However, this is just my own personal opinion.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Prymal said:
Ed,

Bro, that's one of the most amazing things about these cauda-heavy beasts - the amazing speed that they command and the power they can deliver with those heavy metasomas.
However, in my experience with all 5 species being kept in captivity, they tend to rely on discouraging potential and perceived attacks with non-penetrative caudal strikes (clubbing).
Personally, I think their reputation as an "aggressive" group of scorpions is far blown-out of proportion. However, this is just my own personal opinion.
I'm not sure about aggressive group because the Androctonus species I have would run and hide most of the time. I have never encountered an aggressive scorpion.

ParabuthusKing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Beautiful scorpions

Making me jealous with those beauties... let me know how the breeding project goes as I am curious about this species and have never seen it available, much less being bred.. good luck to you :)

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Parabuthus,

Should be quite a few offspring available this winter/spring as 3-4 people are breeding this species.

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Walton,

Now, I'm working on getting another dark-colored member of Androctonus not currently in the hobby. We'll see if I'm successful come October ;) Also working-on getting some M. gibbosus and if the Gods are kind, M. eupeus thersites or M. e. mongolicus!!!
Now, finding "friends" in regions where Lychas spp. occur! LOL

Scorpfanatic

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i saw a lychas species form tahiuland in some other thred, absolutely wonderful and pretty for sure!