suggestions for new t

Gustavo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have alittle wish list and i was wondering witch ones would be good t's for a beginner ... i want to start them all out as about .5-1" slings so i can get use to the behaviour is this a good idea?

Acanthoscurria geniculata
Aphonopelma hentzi
Avicularia minatrix
Brachypelma smithi
Ceratogyrus brachycephalus
Cyriopagopus schioedtei
Grammostola aureostriata
Poecilotheria rufilata
Poecilotheria regalis

ty for any input

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Gustavo said:
i have alittle wish list and i was wondering witch ones would be good t's for a beginner ... i want to start them all out as about .5-1" slings so i can get use to the behaviour is this a good idea?

Aphonopelma hentzi
Avicularia minatrix
Brachypelma smithi
Cyriopagopus schioedtei
Grammostola aureostriata
Poecilotheria rufilata
Poecilotheria regalis

ty for any input

BEST for a beginner, out of the list you provided: Aphonopelma hentzi, Brachypelma smithi, and Grammostola aureostriata

Best for INTERMEDIATE keeper, with some experience: Avicularia minatrix, Acanthacuria geniculata

Best for EXPERIENCED keepers: All the rest on your list

Any Old World species is very likely to be very defensive and much more likely to bite, is more likely to have "hotter" venom if they DO bite, and most are very fast, faster than most beginning keepers are prepared for, and this is especially true of Poecilotherias. Avicularias, while generally very docile, are also quite fast and skittish, and being arboreals, require a bit more specialized care than most of the terrestrial burrowing or desert/scrubland species, and are less "forgiving" if you fail to provide their exact needs. Acanthascurias are reported to have "hotter" venom than most New World species, though I honestly have not seen any scientific backing, and tend to be a tad more nervous than the ones I listed as good beginner T's. I know that some people will question my inclusion of B. smithi in that category, since they will flick hairs now and then, but compared to most Brachypelmas, most B. smithi's are pretty calm and docile. While you will find the odd A. hentzi or G. aureostriata that is "psycho", most members of those two species, along with Aphonopelma chalcodes(a larger, somewhat more colorful relative of A. hentzi, also native to North America), are going to be very docile, easy-to-care-for, fairly "bold"(as in not spending all of their time underground or webbed up somewhere) T's.

pitbulllady

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gustavo said:

Aphonopelma hentzi
Avicularia minatrix
Brachypelma smithi
Cyriopagopus schioedtei
Grammostola aureostriata
Poecilotheria rufilata
Poecilotheria regalis

ty for any input
i wouldnt recommend any slings under an inch to a newbie...try to go for 1.5", 1.75" or larger if you can.. and from the list b. smithi would be a great choice

Derfjuan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have had alot of fun with Grammostola aureostriata
in the past and would highly recommend one to a begginer as a great T to get yor feet wet with.

Mattyb

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Derfjuan said:
i have had alot of fun with Grammostola aureostriata
in the past and would highly recommend one to a begginer as a great T to get yor feet wet with.

I agree Grammostola aureostriata is one of my favorite species. When I had my 6" female she always ate well and was very docile until she passed away.

-Matty

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
A. geniculata was either my second or third T. Since I don't think a beginner should handle any T, being "hotter" or slightly more skiddish shouldn't be too big a factor, as long as you are comfortable with the transferring and maintenence of one. The reason I like the genic, is because they are hardy, fun to watch at feeding time/real good eaters, out in the open, grow fast (except for mine:( ), grow big, are reasonably priced and are pretty.

I don't particularly like hentzies just because they grow so slowly. I would get a bigger one, otherwise it's snoozeville waiting for it to get some size.

Avics are great, but sometimes tiny slings will die. They require a bit more attention than terrestrials and are less forgiving to husbandry mistakes.

B. smithi is a great choice too, they also grow slow, but are so beautiful, it's worth it. Some kick hair more than others, if you are new to Ts and it is a small sling, the hairs probably won't bother you. They are fairly easy to keep.

Ceratogyrus brachycephalus is an interesting T, but they burrow. Mine is visable sometimes, but if it is only one of a few, I would get one that is more visable.

Cyriopagopus schioedtei -- never had one, no comment.

Grammostola aureostriata is a perfect choice. Very hardy, docile, grows big, fantastic to watch at feeding time. Just not real colorful.

I would not recommend Poecilotheria rufilata and Poecilotheria regalis to a beginner unless you are very confident. They are very quick and nervous. They like to hide. They are very beautiful.

As a beginner, I started out with only slings, 1" or smaller. I had no problems raising them, as long as they were a hardy species. The only tiny slings I lost were avics, which is why I would not recommend that a noobie start with an avic that is smaller than an inch.

A t that is not on your list, but I recommend as a beginner t is the Greenbottle Blue. They are very hardy, go through fantastic color changes, and are great eaters.

Gustavo

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ty all for your help i am pretty sure i will be getting the
Acanthoscurria geniculata 1" and a G. auro as the freebe unless they let me get the smithi as the freebe then ill pay for a auro also

I have 2 t's already my first was a A. avic 2" and second was a G. rosea 3.5-4"i got them at a pet store that was closing down 14 for the avic and a week later 5 for the rosie (good deals lol)

well ty again for all the info ... also i didnt know that t's were addictive when i got my first lol... now i go in stores for the sole purpose of seeing if there is any potention enclosure supplies .. btw Hobby Lobby is awsome lol