keeping and breeding grasshoppers

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
just wondering if someone can help me with breeding grasshoppers, my dragons love em, more then anything else, they hesitate with roaches and crickets but go crazy over grasshoppers, i caught a few young ones this mornin, how can i raise and breed them?

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Breeding Locusts
If you are wanting to breed your own locust them all that's needed is a 4 inch deep dish filled with silver sand or sharp sand. The sand should be kept moist by wetting it and adding a few drops of water each day, you don't want the sand wet though, just moist.

The female locust will position herself over the sand dish and push her back end in to it to deposit up to 200 eggs. Keep if your tank is the correct temperature (see above) then the locusts will emerge after 10 - 12 days.

The young can be fed on the same material as the adults and will go through several (5) instar moultings before becoming adult - you'll probably have used them by this time though

They eat pretty much anything,

Source= http://www.easyinsects.co.uk/livefood/locusts/index.html

jarrell

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
pretty much like crickets, but use sand as the breeding material.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lychas said:
just wondering if someone can help me with breeding grasshoppers, my dragons love em, more then anything else, they hesitate with roaches and crickets but go crazy over grasshoppers, i caught a few young ones this mornin, how can i raise and breed them?
and if u breed enough i'll buy some!!!!

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
sick4x4 said:
and if u breed enough i'll buy some!!!!
I'm going to be working on this this later this month in a 10 gallon tank. If It's successful, then I'll be selling here on the boards.

Feeder locusts are a desert species. Anyone have any idea what I could do for a temperate species?

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Evil Cheshire said:
I'm going to be working on this this later this month in a 10 gallon tank. If It's successful, then I'll be selling here on the boards.

Feeder locusts are a desert species. Anyone have any idea what I could do for a temperate species?
keep me posted please,

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
lower the temp, and mist the food every 2 days, its how they get their moisture

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
my starter animals are wild caught small brown grasshoppers out of my backyard, will try and get pics

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had difficuly in getting Carlina locusts to breed let alone lay eggs or mate, they make good pets though even if they do eat a lot. What really cool is they come in several cool morphs, I have seen orange, red, yellow, beige, brown, grey, speckled, and slate white. I also love their black wings with the yellow band along the edge.

http://www.cirrusimage.com/Orthoptera/Carolina_grasshopper_2.jpg

Normal morph.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
All I get are an occasional katydid, and some crickets (mainly field cricket and snowy tree cricket) I have never seen a grasshopper or locust?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Tleilaxu this is the type of grasshopper I'm going to attempt to use as a feeder. Have you ever tried with this type of hopper before?

Can anyone get me a scientiffic name?

Although hoppers are awesome feeders, I honestly think any one of my Ts would prefer these

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Evil Cheshire said:
Tleilaxu this is the type of grasshopper I'm going to attempt to use as a feeder. Have you ever tried with this type of hopper before?

Can anyone get me a scientiffic name?

Although hoppers are awesome feeders, I honestly think any one of my Ts would prefer these
I have seen them before but I have never tried to raise them, they are feisty when restrained though so not really good T food....

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
one of mine just moulted the other day, it now has wings, i guess that means its adult? how do i sex them?

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Females are generally larger than males, also fatter than males.