Newbie ? about Goliath Birdeater I just ordered

737Eater

Arachnopeon
Im a rookie to this spider thing, all I have now are alligator snapping turtles. I spent 75 bucks on a 5 to 8 inch Goliath birdeater tonight, should be here tomorrow. I made sure they are giving me a female. I bought one of these because I like big, aggresive, mean animals as pets. My ? is will I be able to pick this sucker up, or is that a crazy idea? I thought baboon tarantulas were not to be handled, but I saw a pic on the forum of someone lettin one crawl all over their arm. Just wonderin, dont wanna get fangs sunk into me. Thanks

737Eater

Arachnopeon
On second thought, I just did some research, after seeing they are capable of biting into the bone i guess I dont wanna even try to handle her.

Action Jackson

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So you want big, mean agressive pets so you can pick them up and play with them?

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Even if your T blondi doesn't bite you I bet you only pick it up once, you see they have some of the worst hairs of any species(toward humans anyway).

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
T. blondi is big, not what I would call aggressive or mean. They don't particularly like being bothered, though, and will assume threat posture if they feel bothered or threatened. Mind the caution about the hairs: a lot of people are very sensitive to them and you will probably get hairs on you more often than you will be in a position to be bitten, which isn't to say just reach into the tank willy-nilly, but even if you are cautious about being bitten, you will still have to deal with the hairs.

I assume you have read up on the habitat they require, but if you need questions answered many people on these boards, including myself, have goliaths and would be happy to help.

Adrian

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
wow...

Ur first T is a T.Blondi?? oh man ur in for a surprise

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Just wait till you hear it hiss....

Perhaps next time you'll do research before ordering next time....:rolleyes:

kellygirl

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I dont feel im sensitive to tarantulas hairs, but T blondi is an execption. There one of the few that make my arms red and itchey. And i dont handle them! Maybe not the best choice for you first Tarantula, but they are quite impressive animals when givin, the proper respect. good luck

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you want aggressive pets, buy 5 male cats from the animal shelter. I'm more afraid of a swarm of vile cats than I am of a big spider

Has anyone else seen that TV documentary where ___ (forgotten his name) let a blondi walk over his face in the jungle, so that viewers could see the size comparison of them?

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Was that Corwin that did that? He laid down in front of one and just let it walk over his face..

It was him or O'Shea...Neither one seems overly bright sometimes :p

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah! I think it was o'shea actually.. no the other with brown hair

It walked accross a stick then accross his face

I met O'shea about 6 years ago when my dad was breeding snakes with him, i forget what type as I've never really been that interested in snakes though. We talked with him for ages about T's and cockroaches, I was only about 10 and I was telling him about all my pets includin my ants nest so I was suprised he didnt get irritated. After that he gave us some free stuff, i've forgotten what it was though

We sold him some madagascan hissin roaches anyway

claim to fame:}

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Blondis are technically able to be handled because among other things, in spite of their pissy reputation, they rarely actually bite. But, as others have pointed out, they've got some seriously irritating urticating hairs which makes handling them something you do maybe once, get some photographic evidence, and then put that beast back never to be touched again unless absolutely necessary.

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
do it........ Animals are just like humans....... some are nice, and gental......some are mean and rough.......id say try it... but not for long...if it picks up its abdomen at you....RUN! Have fun with it..

Sean

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
and then put that beast back never to be touched again unless absolutely necessary.
For some reason i find that quote hilarious anywayz why would anyone wanna pick a T.blondi up?? i dont think taking a photo just to prove u held it is really worth it imo;P

Mojo Jojo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
How much worse are T. blondi hairs than A. geniculata hairs. I handled my genic's exoskelleton a couple of days ago and am still itching -- moreso today than a couple days ago. And the itching is really bad!

EDIT: Worth it though for the genic. I'll just need to get some latex or rubber gloves before I handle an exo. again.

From what I understand, genic hairs are amongst the worst. So if a T. blondi isn't too much worse, I might consider getting one. I have never considered a blondi a possibility because of their notorious hairs.

Jon

Last edited:

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
I too am getting a t. blondi. She will be one of my first spiders. She was my local petstore owners daugthers spider. Ive talked to her about her behavior and care. The MAIN reason I picked her over the other one she has is shes NOT a hair kicker. I toally understand that in no way means she wont...but in the time shes had her she hasnt. Im not bringing her home until my forceps get here. Because Im not willy nillying going to stick my hand in there. She might not so agression towards people....her dinner is a different story. And I feel with some basic precautions such as forceps and gloves for handling any molt I can care for her and raise a beautiful T.

Jen

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Unlike the debate on the Poecilotheria thread, I think owning a T. blondi is not really dangerous... for the keeper. The biggest problem with a T. blondi, IMO, is getting them set up properly. If you give them deep substrate, high humidity, and a decent hide, you shouldn't have a problem. The T. blondi was my first T when I returned to the hobby after a 15 year absence. In retrospect, it really wasn't a good choice for me. I had yet to have found this site and I learned by trial and error. The resulting educational curve left one T. blondi dead and another missing 3 legs from a bad molt. The problems were directly attributed to my own ignorance.

You, on the other hand, are already here. You have a vast amount of knowledge and experience at your fingertips... literally. I wouldn't be too anxious to be a spider cowboy and try any tactile spider love though. As mentioned before, if the fangs don't get you, the hairs will.

Botar

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Speaking of urticating hair, I don't have any reaction to them at all=D =D =D