Orb weavers

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have had this orb weaver for two weeks now, I keep it in a large jar and it has spun a nice web. What will I feed it when winter comes since it is to small to take crickets. Also how do you cleasn there cage without destroying the web. I will try to get pics soon.

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
fruit flies? house flies? using a net by a light at night, shouldnt be too hard to get some dinner.

i use removable bottoms for orb weavers. you can always turn your jar upside down and add a hole in the top for feeding/ventilation.

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
you can take off the bottom, or part of. as long as the web is not attached a teh bottom you should be abel to remove wash out left over bugs and poo and put back.

You could also wait till they are ready for a new web and just relocate. thats usually what i do.

diadematus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
you can take off the bottom, or part of. as long as the web is not attached a teh bottom you should be abel to remove wash out left over bugs and poo and put back.
Ah... the bottom of the enclosure. Now I am on the right page.

-Kevin

diadematus

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have had this orb weaver for two weeks now, I keep it in a large jar and it has spun a nice web. What will I feed it when winter comes since it is to small to take crickets.
I just fed a couple very small Theridiidae (comb-footed spiders) "micro crickets" (body length perhaps 4mm or so -- the same as "pinhead"?) from the pet shop. I place them in the freezer for about 30 sec. or so to numb them. I just watched today as a very small spider no bigger than the cricket's head managed with great effort to pull her prey into her hiding corner.

-K

Ganoderma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They hunt quite differently though. i find the only trick with orb weavers is getting them to build a good strong web. Even large prey will tangle themselves up enough to make the smaller spider able to finish it off. many of mine are fed grasshoppers of equal or larger size.