Not an arachnid, but can anybody tell me what this insect is???

danielthelefty

Arachnopeon
I found it in the leaves and thought it was the coolest bug I've ever seen in my life... I've been dying to know what it is!

Any help is appreciated :)

I need to learn more about insects...

And sorry for the artsiness and darkness of them. I am a photographer, after all (at least I pretend to be...).

Thanks!

Attachments

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
That is an assassin bug of some description. Family Reduviidae. Note the elongate head, presence of occili, piercing beak and the way the abdoment is extended upwards beyond the wings. I'm sure there is more to it, but my field guide is no doubt stuffed away under a random pile of crap right now.

Cheers,
Dave

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Right, an assassin bug. Specifically an Arilus cristatus, also known as a wheel bug. Just for the record I knew it as a wheel bug, but had to look up the scientific name.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
and im not sure u should have it on ur finger????

zinto

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Assassin bugs only feed on invertebrates, Kissing bugs feed on vertebrates. I'm pretty sure about this anyway, correct me if I'm wrong.

Waspman

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
zinto said:
Assassin bugs only feed on invertebrates, Kissing bugs feed on vertebrates. I'm pretty sure about this anyway, correct me if I'm wrong.
You're right, but sick4x4 was most likely referring to the extremely painful jab these guys can give ya!

Very nice pics!

LongDucDong

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Most definitely an assassin bug, that one there is commonly known as a wheel bug, Latin name is Arilus cristatus. Very nice find! Ive been looking for these for awhile!!! But they dont extend this far north I believe. :( And I wouldnt handle those if I were you, they can deliver a horribly painful bite! :eek:

danielthelefty

Arachnopeon
LongDucDong said:
Most definitely an assassin bug, that one there is commonly known as a wheel bug, Latin name is Arilus cristatus. Very nice find! Ive been looking for these for awhile!!! But they dont extend this far north I believe. :( And I wouldnt handle those if I were you, they can deliver a horribly painful bite! :eek:
I found him on my way back from photographing these grasshoppers (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37588304/ and http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37588183/)... I'm a wildlife photographer... a wannabe, anyway. I've been bitten and stung more times than I care to count. It's all worth it for the photograph ;)

But this was a friendly little guy. He was about as curious about me as I was about him. I didn't force him to do anything he didn't want to; I just held out my hand, he held out a leg and climbed onto me. I was wondering what that beak was for!

And here's a picture of him on my finger to show a better approximation of his size... http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/37588642/

Thanks for all the help you guys! It was a fluke that I found him, but I sure am glad I did!

Last edited:

jdcarrel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ahh, I hate wheel bugs. I have tons of these in my back yard. I was bitten by one that was about and inch and half. Their bites hurt a lot.

danielthelefty

Arachnopeon
kornordie said:
Ahh, I hate wheel bugs. I have tons of these in my back yard. I was bitten by one that was about and inch and half. Their bites hurt a lot.
Where are you located?

This was the first time I'd ever seen one.

sarah1031

Arachnopeon
I caught one of these before... It didn't do anything but let off a realy strong odor.

merezz88

Arachnopeon
hey i got bit by that type of bug shown in the pics above that assassin bug . hurt like hell , is that the assassin bug that gives the chagas disease?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
:clap: yeah! i luv wheelbugs i used to keep them alot,and uh...yeah they can give you one helluva jab! and man does it hurt{D

Arachnotized

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
WoW...

Great pic!!! And he truly is a wonderful neat little guy! I had no idea they bit people...I have been guilty of picking them up time to time when I find them in my yard and I must say they are curious things and had no problem letting them climb on me...I too wondered what the beak was for ...I thought they sucked nectar from flowers like butterflies lol...well anyway..from now on I might keep picking them up although I might be a little more cautious!:eek:

Matt K

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would like to buy a few if anyone can collect some. PM me, but email is better! matt@modernmatt.com

I have seen them around my place, but none this year at all. Suspect the heavy rains have prevented them somehow.

Thanks!

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I found two last year. But i did not know what they were. Very cool bugs! Any info on there favorite places to live? I'd love to find some more.

~Samuel

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah wheel bugs can hurt pretty bad my daughter sat one one once and man did she holler lol