my h. lividum needs help!!!

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
yesterday she was all stretched out and stuff and pretty active, she ate a few crickets....today she is all curled up against the wall and when i blow on her or touch her abdomen she doesn't even move...i know she's not dead because i lifted one of her legs with my finger and she pulled it back in...please help!

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Static_69
i lifted one of her legs with my finger and she pulled it back in...please help!
:eek: I wouldn't do that, after all that talk about them being dangerous and stuff.
About it now, I don't think you should worry as if I remember correctly , someone said they do that a lot (sitting curled up - not moving)
Hope I'm right

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i know they arent active and stuff...but i didnt think she'd be all curled up against the wall like this.

belewfripp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Static, are the legs curled up underneath the spider or are they simply pulled in close, with the 'knees' covering up the carapace? If her legs are bent out almost sideways and curled up underneath she is dead EDIT: or dying. If they are just curled up tight close to her, like she's huddled in the corner, she is probably fine. I wouldn't bug her if it is the latter case, as I have had experiences with Old World spiders that will just sit and sit and sit and not respond at all to anything and then all of a sudden, its showtime and they're all over the place.

However, if the legs are actually curled up underneath her, try gently placing her chelicerae down in a shallow dish of water. Then place her and the water dish in a bare tank or large deli cup with moistened paper towel as a substrate and put her in a dark, quiet place.

I hope your situation is the huddled-up-trying-to-decide-whether-
I-feel-like-killing-you-right-now-or-not rather than the death curl. Good luck.

Adrian

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ooooo...i think its the "i'm huddled up, waiting to kill you" posture because she climbed into her hide and made a "door" of web in front of it, closing herself into it.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, it's either going into premolt, or giving you a hint....."leave me alone!" ;)

The position you describe (huddled in a corner, legs pulled in tight) sounds like a stress position. It doesn't necessarily mean "detrimental" stress, but at any rate, the best thing to do is just give her some peace and quiet for a while. Just very quietly peek in on the enclosure now and then and resist the temptation to physically touch, invade, poke etc. and sooner or later, the burrow will open back up with a hungry Cobalt waiting just inside. As a general rule with Haplopelmas, the more reclusive they are allowed to be, the better they will thrive.
Best of luck! :)

Atrax

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Search through the forum for some more topics on this.

My lividum did that when I first got her, what I strongly suggest is to dig a burrow about 2" deep then put half a flower pot over it.. this'll serve as a starter-burrow, your spider should find it within a few days then improve a lot from there

As always, check your humidty and temperature levels

If its gone in it's burrow as I've just read i guess my first bit of advice is useless :p If you think it's going to moult, I'd advise for you to put the heat mat on the side so if she begins to moult the heat wont go through the glass and bake it