whats a good roach to feed a katydid

Tcrazy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have a spiny katydid that i found in texas many of you that where at arachnocon knows which one i am talking about. since i had it i feed it one roach that i found out side in texas. and since then had feed it crickets and she seems to be tired of them and i was wondering whats a good feeder roach for a katydid

Newports

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
LOL Spiny Katydids eat other insects?
Anyways lobster roaches would be good I think, its a smaller roach.

Tcrazy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
about how big are they. i need something bigger than an adult cricket... she eats alot..

Herp13

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Get some Blaptica dubia, or Eublaberus posticus. They are both great feeders from what i heards and they can get to be around 2" as adults.

Digby Rigby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Giant red eye spiny katydids

I sold some last year and may have more this year in a short time. They are very robust its more a matter of what they wont eat! One time we even fed them Chinese mantids because a nursery gave us all their egg cases that hatch. They will punk a mantid or just about any other insect. They can give you a good nip also! Some good feeders are Blaptica dubia, grasshoppers, each other, caterpillars, moths and even larger roaches such as Blaberus fusca.

DigbyRigby@exoticfeeders.com

http://exoticfeeders.com

Last edited:

Tcrazy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Digby Rigby said:
I sold some last year and may have more this year in a short time. They are very robust its more a matter of what they wont eat! One time we even fed them Chinese mantids because a nursery gave us all their egg cases that hatch. They will punk a mantid or just about any other insect. They can give you a good nip also! Some good feeders are Blaptica dubia, grasshoppers, each other, caterpillars, moths and even larger roaches suck as Blaberus fusca.

DigbyRigby@exoticfeeders.com

http://exoticfeeders.com
she has already tried to get me. i have a hard time getting her water dish out to clean. seems she wants to get my hand every time

Gemeines

Arachnopeon
I realy like these pics!! I actually think about this species often.

I have always wanted to get one.

These are such unusual pets. I also think they are kinda pretty.

Feel free to post tons of pics of these, as I am an ever audience.
its like I am keeping them vicariously. lol.

Thanks for posting.

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I caught one of those when I was around seven years old. Kept if for a while too. I made it a little grave when it died :wall: {D

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I fed one of those to my A. crassicauda. He had some difficulty taking it down. Took about a day for him to eat it! The katydid was bigger than he was.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I see them allot in w tx. But I found one just north of Austin Tx where I live in July. Didn't know they went that far east. I fed it to something eventually. I have the head attached to the fridge with a magnet{D . Interesting bugs if you like Katydids. They will eat almost anything. Maybe it could use more plant material in it's diet. (eating cucumber in the pic).

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
quick Q. what hurts more. the legs or the bite?
These have big choppers that easily draw blood. Pretty good defense with the legs too. But I stay away from those choppers for sure!!! Legs no big deal compared to those chops. Strange that I have the head on the fridge but it's a good shot of the what will hurt you. I may post a pic later.

Scolopendra55

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The katydid is Neobarrettia spinosa. They are one of the only strictly carnivirous katydids in the U.S. So they dont need any plantlife in their diet.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Here's a good head shot. It may be that they get moisture from chewing or eating some plant material. I've seen them in action. You might try a melon of some kind or at least offer it some water. Or, could be that it's time is just about up.

Gemeines

Arachnopeon
WOW!!

That is cool.

I bet you could eBay that. Seriously, or mold and cast it and make an interesting piece of jewelry. Did you make that into a magnet??

When I was little I had a children's bug book called Creepy Crawlers and this spikey beast was on the cover.
never read about them just looked at the pictures. and thought it looked awesome.

Thanks much for these interesting pictures guys!! These are addictive.

Gemeines

Arachnopeon
Finding out that this Neobarrettia spinosa is a Carnivore/Omnivore? intrigues me to no end!

This is obviously a suspicious looking Katydid.

I saw in another insect forum this little kid fed his mantis one of these and it ate half of his mantis?. eek:

I insensitively asked for pics and the Poor kid was clearly upset. :eek::

I would have done the same as a young kid.

as I always thought praying mantises were the Apex insect. :?

Thanks again guys. It just makes me want more. Im sorry.:8o

@ LeilaNami -lol I used to make little graves for my bugs too.:eek: