Is it possible to sex any genus/species just by looking at it?

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What I mean is, are there any species that are really obvious due to colour/size? I found a pet store quite aways away from me has 2 H. lividum, and I asked if they could send a jpg, they sent one of one of them, and said they didn't want to disturb the other one :) as it was in it burrow. I see such different pics of this species (bright blue to more grayish) that I thought I'd attch a pic and see if anyone had some thoughts. If you can't with this one, thats fine, but I'd still like to know if there are any that you can usually tell....
Thanks!

BigHairy8's

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Mature H.lividum, the female looks just like your pic. Mature males may have a faint bit of blue to none, and tend to be more on the grayish side. I would be pretty sure the one in the pic is a female.

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yes.

Some poikies, fastanta, regalis, and ornata come to mind. When they hit 4-5 inchs the females get littler.

H. lividum are a little tricker. The photo shows a larger h. lividum so I would say that it was female. It is also wild caught. That is very clear. Males, final molt, h. lividum's turn gray or brownish black, not blue.

I can not say for sure but it seems that G. pulchra. males are more browner from a very young age compared to female slings.
thedarkfinder

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
TheDarkFinder said:
Yes.

Some poikies, fastanta, regalis, and ornata come to mind. When they hit 4-5 inchs the females get littler.

H. lividum are a little tricker. The photo shows a larger h. lividum so I would say that it was female. It is also wild caught. That is very clear. Males, final molt, h. lividum's turn gray or brownish black, not blue.

I can not say for sure but it seems that G. pulchra. males are more browner from a very young age compared to female slings.
thedarkfinder
Just wondering how you've come to that conclusion?

Uehling

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just out of curiosity, how can you tell that it was wild caught?

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lorgakor said:
Just wondering how you've come to that conclusion?
This is easy. Hair wear on the legs. Age of the tarantula. The fact that it is in a pet store. This screams of Wild caught. I will lay good money on it. CB's are very seldom that tore up.

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I have had CB tarantulas lose hair on legs and carapace just from rubbing on hides, or burrow walls, and from shipping. In my area, CB adult spiders can find their way into pet stores from people who no longer want them. They sell them to pet stores as often times they do not know other people who are interested in tarantulas.

I don't mean to discount what you've said, but in my opinion there is no way to know that for sure from a picture without getting the information first hand from the seller.

And in my opinion, that spider does not look "torn up" to me at all, in fact it looks quite healthy.

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
So, the petstore emailed me back finally, and indeed, Darkfinder is correct, they were both wild caught.

Jonathan

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hello,
This may or may not help you, but may be something to consider in the future:
http://www.birdspiders.com/faq_sex.html
It has been linked on the boards before, but I couldn't find it fast enough. As stated in the reading, this type of sexing is a bit of a skill. Hope this helps.
Jon