blue tounged skink info. needed

intrepidus6

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am trying to talk my mum into letting me get a blue tounged skink. I have been researching them online, but I wanted to get some info from people who have them as pets.

Things I need to know:

What should the diet consist of/how often should I feed them?

How should the cage be set up?

How big do they get, how big will a young one be?

How long do they live?

Should they live alone, or in a group?

Do they bite? If so is it painful/can they bite off a finger?

And anything else you think I should know. Thanks :)

Snakefox

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Blue tongue skinks AKA the big bules!!
Are great pets they are very social “but get VERY large!! About 2 feet!! At adults this my not seems very big but they are very girth-ie . I would only keep One per enclosure as they are territorial and tend to battle. You will need at least a 40 gal breeder!! They eat everything Crix and Veg!
:D

hermitman64

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The website tarantulakeeper mentioned is by far the best source for information.

I won't add anything because that is the best place to look, but I will say that you've made a good choice, I believe. I decided to get a BTS about a year ago, and after doing research on breeders/care, I just ordered a baby last week from Donna at captivebred.com

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's my guy.

He's about 16 months old and I've had him for 4 months. His name is Charlie...but my wife calls him Chuck.

intrepidus6

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cool! I've been reading that site that tarantulakeeper gave me, it seems very informative.
I already know a place that has one (It's a pet store, but not like most pet stores, the staff actually know some things about animals!) It's a male, about 1 1/2 years old, and very friendly and active. I really hope my evil mum will let me get one....