corn snake ID please

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Good day all,

I'v just aquired a corn snake, can anyone tell me what its proper name is?

thanks

Camberwell

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think I'v just seen one exactly the same in another thread and they called it an okeetee corn snake.

joey

Arachnopeon
yeah, I would have said Okeetee

though I'm NOT an expert, I believe this is also known as a common corn, the colour changes slightly as it gets older,
beautiful baby by the way.... very nice

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

you cant really tell from that pic but from the tail forwards its going a little dull getting more vibrant towards the head, I read that this is a sign of upcoming molt??

Is asking for care tips for corn snakes like asking for G.rosea care tips in the T forums??

how long between snake molts?? sorry for all the nooobie questions, I have been reading :)

thanks

Camberwell

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Camberwell said:
going a little dull getting more vibrant towards the head, I read that this is a sign of upcoming molt??

Is asking for care tips for corn snakes like asking for G.rosea care tips in the T forums??

how long between snake molts?? sorry for all the nooobie questions, I have been reading :)
Shed. Snakes shed, spiders molt. :)

1. Sort of. The scales will get VERY dull and cloudy-looking, especially the eyes. It might just be starting up now, you'll know soon enough. Make sure the snake can soak in its water dish or something if it wants, I know humidity is very important for my ball python to shed properly.

2. {D

3. It varies wildly. My ball went for three or four months after I got him before he shed once, then he shed about once a month, now I don't know what schedule he's on. It depends on all kinds of environmental factors as well as growth, age/size, and species. :)

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks Mushroom Spore,

shed, shed, shed, shed, right i think i got it now, lol :)

My friend has just bought me round a book, its "The Guide to Owning a - Corn Snake" by Jerry G. Walls, so I'll get a bit more clued up tonight.

I'm a little dubious of the bark chips its on at the moment, this is what it came in, but I'm just worried it could be cedar or pine, I'v read allready read that cedar and pine aren't good, can anyone tell what those bark chips are just by looking?

I think i'm gonna get some wood shavings, but again i'm worried he might eat some acidentaly.

I guess the safest thing is newspaper right?

thanks for the info

Camberwell

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Camberwell said:
I think i'm gonna get some wood shavings, but again i'm worried he might eat some acidentaly.

I guess the safest thing is newspaper right?
I know those chips aren't aspen, which is what I use and is kind of a light cream color. Newspaper won't be as fun for the snake, I'm told corns like to burrow just as much as ball pythons (which is what I have) do.

Also, there won't be a problem with eating substrate if you feed in a seperate container, which is what you should always do anyway for lots of reasons. :) Just buy a cheap rubbermaid tub or something big enough to put the snake in with the thawed mousie, and there you go.

I once heard an anecdote of a snake that managed to eat an entire paper towel along with a mouse...newspaper isn't automatically safe, no. :)

EDIT: Also I forgot to mention, if it's shedding and you see the eyes cloud over, don't try to handle it. Snakes are blind at that stage, and many will freak out and bite because they don't know what's going on. My ball's never done it, but other people have been nailed by all sorts.

itsy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The man who i brought the snake from has a very good reputation with keeping and breeding, I am sure he would not have sold me the snake with the substrate being wrong. He kept all his on this and all the others he was keeping for other people are kept the same and seem fine.

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ok thanks Jo,

He seemed quite calm today, not that he was particularly agro yesterday, but today picking him up he seemed quite happy to let me do it :)

Camberwell

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
looks like an okeetee or a normal. the main differenece is the amount of black. okeetees have much more black (yours looks pretty dark, so i'm leaning towards okeetee) ..but it will still fade into more red inside the black once its older. i'm no expert either though :D i just got my first snake a few months ago. they look a little farther along than yours, but so far i think they have shed about once a month.

so far i had just been feeding directly in their tank, but i think i'll be switching to a feeding tank from now on.

as for burrowing...mine LOVE burrowing through the aspen shavings (i think they are aspen shavings) its funny to watch them poke their heads up out of nowhere. {D i think newspaper or something would be easier to keep clean..but it doesn't look as nice, and i like watching them dig around.

post some pics once it sheds. :)

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
aaah right, cheers for the info, I'v seen a few now that are labeled okeetee.

Just fed for the first time in my care today :) I think feeding day will be mondays from now on.

I followed the seperate feeding container advice, thanks for that :)

I like to watch him burrow aswell, he does manage to get under there, he great :D

thanks again for the tips guys, and will be definatly post more pics after it sheds.

Camberwell

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I recommend the aspen shavings over that substrate for these few reasons.

1: holds humidity better
2: the snake stands out more
3: easier to burrow through
4: less dusty so the snakes looks cleaner

None of them are reasons that are very important just little things i noticed made it slightly better once i switched from that.

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello again,

The pictures above were only taken yesterday, when I fed it, but now today I just went up to take a look at him, and I'v found a shed skin??

it didn't show any signs in those photographs of having clouded over eyes, and its skin looked pretty bright, is it normal for a snake to shed so quickly with no prior warning??

thanks in advance

Camberwell

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
my roommate has an adult rat snake that gets all faded, and the eyes look a blue/white color..then it seems to return to normal coloration then sheds... :confused: :confused: not really sure about mine..they always disappear a little in advance..then i notice the next morning or something that theres a shedding sitting there.

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
right ok, thanks

He looks fine anyway, I havn't held him yet as I read you shouldn't so soon after feeding, but I'll get a good inspection tomorrow :)

thanks

Camberwell

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ive got 3 snakes, Boa, Corn, Cal. Desert King.

All three get clouded eyes then the eyes go back to normal and they shed like 3 days later (1-3 it varies). So thats probably what happened.

Camberwell

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks for all the advice guys :) much apreciated

Well as promised I've just got some pics now it's shed

Camberwell