What on earth is this?

SoupyC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Spider is a 2.75" A. versicolor in a 'display cube' with plenty of ventilation. I fed it a sub-adult (probably 1.5" body length) Lobster roach last night, pre killed and I came home this morning to this here:

Is that Avicularia poop or what is it? They arent moving and they are kinda greyish white. They aren't all evenly sized, one or two are smaller. I'm going to remove them now that I have the picture, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks!
Eric

PS Sorry about the focus, my camera sucks.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, thats poop, dont need to clean it out . The T is not bothered by it being there, and I prefer to only go into a cage only when really necessary, like after molting to get the molt, or to rehouse.

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That doesn’t look like my Avic’s poop. Her poo is more liquid in texture. Looks like some sort of eggs to me. But what the heck do I know I’ve only had her a few weeks ;P

Steph :D

maxident213

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I have found the exact same stuff in my Avic tank before, I'm pretty sure it's poop.

ErinKelley

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just for the record...

I haven't seen any spider poop look like that yet..

nhojz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

eklly said:
I haven't seen any spider poop look like that yet..
agree with you man, looks like well-arranged eggs... coz t's poop for me is watery... not dry... that looks like dry... :?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
Fly or moth eggs, not poop :) I'd get them out asap.
Sorry Steve, but I'm agreeing with the majority, it's poop. T poop starts out as those little egg like nodules (they're the concentrated nitrogenous wastes). Depending on how it's deposited, the egg nodules may stay intact like in that picture. I've seen them a gazillion times with Avics in particular since they have such interesting ways of depositing poop relative to most other Ts.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well Code, you got me :) I've seen the same things in my enclosures, but usually I only see them attached to a verticle surface, usually in the corners of the enclosures. Fly pupae. They look just like that!

I've never seen poop that looks like that, but hey if you guys have in Avicularia, must be poop!!

Cool, have you guys seen similar poop in any others??? Or is this just an Avic thing???

Thanks,
Steve

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
Cool, have you guys seen similar poop in any others??? Or is this just an Avic thing???
I have seen it most often when Ts take a dump in the water dish. I think that the pellets are so soft they immediately break up in most cases, but a nice water dump preserves the shape for a while. The most recent example was a E. campestratus I was "consulting" on at UVA - the poor psych student was terrified she'd discovered evidence of some horrible nematode infection in the water dish and I explained, nope, just poo.

I think we see it most with Avicularia because they're adapted for their defensive poop shooting, ergo, firmer pellets that remain intact more often than with non poop shooters.

SoupyC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wow guys, thanks for all the responses! When I went to get it out, it was dry, not squishy at all. I took a look at the vial I have an A. avicularia in and I saw something similar on the wall of the vial. I pulled out my magnifier and looked and it looked to be exactly the same, just a bit smaller, than the one in the A. versicolors enclosure.

Thanks again!

MEXICOYA415

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah it looks like my avic. avic.'s poop. If you don't beleive it go ahead and give it a little squish :)

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmmm sounds like poop but if it is or isnt really doesnt matter I still like to remove large deposits of anything I see in the tank just to be on the safe side make sure I dont have any mites sneaking in.
scott

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Code Monkey said:
Sorry Steve, but I'm agreeing with the majority, it's poop. T poop starts out as those little egg like nodules (they're the concentrated nitrogenous wastes). Depending on how it's deposited, the egg nodules may stay intact like in that picture. I've seen them a gazillion times with Avics in particular since they have such interesting ways of depositing poop relative to most other Ts.
Thanks Code Monkey! You learn something new everything!!