Costa Rica '06

Sheri

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Really, really awesome pics. :) Damn, its like... a kind of torture looking at them. But a really sort of enjoyable torture, all the same. :D

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
awesome pictures man!! you must've hated to come back?? no a seemani?? :} btw it was nice to meet you at ac this year..maybe next year we'll chill some and have some drinks.

post more pics please. :D

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Tom,

Looks like you had a good time. Glad you saw Dinopis ... very cool spiders! Did you see any of the very orange Ctennids? Any scorps?

Cheers,
Dave

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
Thanks for the info and comments.

Dave, I didnt see any of the orange Ctennids. I have some pics from last year of a bright orange one in the Arenal area, But I didnt see any in Tortuguero this year.

I didnt do much blacklighting on my trip but this was the one scorp I found in Tortuguero. I dont have pics of the underside as it took off and vanished into the leaf litter before I could capture it. Any clue what it is:? I found some other scorps in Monteverde that I'll get to later in this thread.

Attachments

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
great series!

those frog egg pictures are crazy looking!

thank you very much

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Tom,

Great pics! I think the scorpion is C. limbatus. Not too sure on that though.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
awesome pics!did u have a special guide while you were out there or just ventured off on your own?

LongDucDong

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Looks like you had a great trip!!! The scorp might be C. gracilis? Just a guess...

Any C. fasciatum sightings? What about lance-heads (Terciopelo)? Id love to hit up Costa Rica one day.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Tom,

Keep in mind, this ID comes with a STRONG disclaimer of "I don't really know". I would guess it to be Tityus pachyurus. You weren't that far out of the published range and it fits the general description. The manus colour is rather light compared to the Viquez picture floating around, but as we all know -- "colour means nothing!"

I'll take a quick moment to point out that the general proportions -- chela finger length, metasoma thickness etc. -- , along with the proportion of the aculeus to subaculear spine are what suggest to me that it is not Centruroides. Obviously I would love to check the specimen out in person, as it would represent a slight range extension as T.pachyurus, but maybe if you tell me which rock it is on, I'll go and pick it up and have a look next time I'm there. ;)

Cheers,
Dave

LongDucDong

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think you might be onto something Dave. That does look like a Tityus. Wow. Never would have thought of that. :wall:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
@ syndicate, In Tortuguero some of the pics were with a guide and some were on my own. It helps to have a guide, but I found most of them to only be helpfull with birds and mammels.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Philth said:
Crocodiles, A few of them swam right up to our boat. This was a highlight of the trip for me.:cool:
Tom,

You lucky bastard! I got some sweet shots of C.acutus out of the water when I was down there, which I then for some reason erased before they were burned to CD. Me kicking myself for that one has been the highlight of the last year and a half. :(

Cheers,
Dave

Galadriel

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
SO very envious!
Great pics of the spectacled caiman! The snake is indeed an Imantodes cenchoa, aka blunthead tree snake. Have you run across any eyelash vipers yet? Should you ever decide to start making an event of the trip, we're in! :D