Any tarantula species surviving in collections?

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are they any tarantulas that are extinct from the wild, but arent extinct because people have them in their collections?

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
Espcially with T's I'd think that that is very hard to know. Thinking of how little funding any T research receives and that it seems that only a hand full of people are out in the wild studying those animals in their natural habitat, thus numbers of T's in the wild should be pretty hard to estimate.

I would guess that the T's that """need""" to be WC in order to end up in shops are down a bit, but by how much...? :?

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maybe not yet, but unless rainforest etc is preserved, T species will dwindle in the wild. Thanks to hobbyists like us, Ts have a chance to survive.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I read in many places that h lividum is rarely seen in the wild.

I also read that all domestic hamsters on Earth descend from the same female captured in the Sinai desert in early 20th century, and I have seen nothing documenting the wild behavior of these creatures. Must be the same for many, many animals!!! Only the domestic version seems to prevail.

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lividum probably isn't seen much because they're always underground.

mikeythefireman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Merfolk said:
I read in many places that h lividum is rarely seen in the wild.

I also read that all domestic hamsters on Earth descend from the same female captured in the Sinai desert in early 20th century, and I have seen nothing documenting the wild behavior of these creatures. Must be the same for many, many animals!!! Only the domestic version seems to prevail.

A lot of that is true because the domestic version never existed in the wild. Dogs and cats being the prime example. Of course they've got a couple thousand more years of domestication, but the theory is sound.:D

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Redip Spider said:
From what I hear they're also rarely seen in captivity.
h lividums are around more then you think and have become kinda common in collections..and are usually available thru online sites and thru people that breed them..i got my 1st h lividum at pet-co..so who really knows..in the wild they are usually underground soo seeing them out and about is kinda rare??if you own one, you know what i am saying...pet hole....soo im not sure where you read that..but i hope this helped

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i thought so but since there wasnt a happy face who knows.....lol:confused:

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
due to deforestion in india u might see alot of the poecs be wiped out in the next 10 years

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah i was thinking more of Poec species. I had thought many species were facing extinction

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,
No, not a single case of that scenario ;)

There is a lot of talk about serious concerns for the future in natural environments, but we aren't there just yet, definately getting there, just not yet, that we know of......

There are cases of some species that have made it to captivity, were found in small numbers and since have not been relocated.

Cheers,
Steve