Male Emp Behavior - Advice needed.

jkurve

Arachnopeon
I have two male emperors, almost exactly the same size, that reside in seperate terrariums. My first, Loki, is very docile, enough to be handled. The other, Khali, has quite a bit of energy...very fast.

My problem is this:
Knowing that emps are *usually* sociable, I tried putting them in the same terrarium when I purchased Khali. Khali, upon noticing Loki, immediately got in Loki's face, claws outstretched, VERY STILTED, tail curved to the point of it being past the front of his prosoma. Loki didn't do much of anything. He in no way appeared to be concerned, but didn't back down until pretty much forced. I took a pencil and hooked Khali's tail and got him away from Loki, but left them together. Khali found a cricket, held it in his "mouth," walked up to Loki and kinda "jumped" at him and spread out his claws, in what seemed like a "look what I have, punk," type of gesture.

Loki is in no way interested in Khali, and Khali never actually did anything other than pester Loki. I actually left them together for about 4 hours, unsupervised, and both were fine, I just seperated them for Loki's sake. They've been living seperate now for about 2 months, which I would countinue to do but now I have some questions...

I saw a picture on the net the other day of an "attempted" mating by two males. The only thing different is that Khali never actually grabbed Loki's claws. Could this be what is happening? I would think that if Khali was interested in killing or eating Loki he would have at least given it a decent shot in the four hours he had alone with Loki.

I'm just wondering if I should continue to keep them seperate or try putting them together again? I mean...after Khali realizes he can't mate with Loki, would he likely leave him alone or something else? Anything behaviors I should watch that might tell me exactly what the problem is? One terrarium is more than enough room for them both, and I wouldn't mind buying a different scorp to keep in the other one...

thisgal

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'd say that because only one of them is showing aggression (or something ELSE....), there shouldn't be a problem. If I were you, I'd go ahead and let them shack up.

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
every time i introduce an new emp, i swithc the substrate out a day or two before, which destroys territorial claims. even so, they will still sometimes fight to establish a primitive social order.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
you know i had the weirdest thing happen with my male emp today. I fed it a huge beatle. Dont exactly know the name of the beatle but my pop call them "mayates" their shiny metalic green, anyways... He ate it but after a few attemps of killing it he probaly tried crushing it for 3 minutes the resorted to stinging it 4 times. It was a good day for me since ive never seen an emp sting its prey. I noticed some crix drumsticks :D and decided to try out my new tongs to remove them. The scorp grabed the tongs stung them and no matter how hard i pulle dhe wouldnt let go. So instead of hurting him i dropped them and the little bastard tried to eat it.EAT IT. i removed them right away and he went bsck to his beattle.

jkurve

Arachnopeon
Yeah, I would have to second the weird notion on that one.

So I put my emps together...no problems, completely cleaned the enclosure and they just started doing their thing, no problems...until today. Loki picked one burrow, Khali another...and then Khali decided he wanted Loki's. Apparently all that was worrying me earlier (aggression, whatnot) is just the way they are. Appeared as if Khali was trying to kill Loki, but Loki wasn't appearing all that worried so I just sat and watched. Khali won, took over Loki's burrow and Loki promptly moved in to Khali's...

Just normal behavior...first time ever owning predators...

Thanks for the advice, peeps...

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They'll learn to get along theirs always initial fighting i bet within 2 weeks they'll be sharing a hide. Just keep an eye on them to make sure nobody loses any limbs. By the way got any pics of them. Oh before i forget you always get those exceptions of scorps that are really aggresive i had one that would shove down like 6 crix at a time and there some videos of a emp named goliath thats the same way. Those really shouldnt be around other emps.

jkurve

Arachnopeon
No I don't have any pics...yet. Straight from the pet shop he gorged on a gecko his own size for 18 hours...i wish I could've gotten pics of it...

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
well thats to be expected mine are usually starving right of the market. Good luck contact me if you need more info.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
One seems territorial, the other one obviously not. Putting them together will provide them to behave the same, so that wouldn't be very logical....Territorial disputes are not known to cause harm, but you never know for sure....

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
true but there is always fighting going on with emps usually they break it up on their own. As far as all the emps I have had they only threathen each other then. But of course if things go bad then seperate and replace the substrate maybe change the hides around.

jkurve

Arachnopeon
I think everything is going to be fine. That incident has been the only one so far. One thing I noticed is that when I noticed Khali in Loki's burrow I saw Khali's tail twitching a lot but they were in a confined space so he couldn't use it. Then after Khali finally got Loki out, for one Loki didn't run from Khali like he was scared...he just hung out. Khali didn't try to injure him at all...at one point Loki actually had a leg right between one of Khali's pincers, and still no action was taken. It became pretty apparent to me Khali had no interest in actually doing damage...he just talks a lot of crap, apparently....

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yup sounds like an emp. By the way I have studied my emp so much and notice that they prefer not to fight but if they fell like their being bugged, especially if their eating, they TAILWHIP each other. And trust me tail whips do in fact hurt. I put my hand in the tank while my biggest emp was eating and he turned his back to me and started tailwhipping. It feels like being fliked so it causes no damage but annoys the hell out of the other scorps. Im sure you'll see this happen.

jkurve

Arachnopeon
Here's an update, and I'm gonna make it really short...something I'm not good at. Here goes...

Khali kicked Loki out. Loki didn't like it, would mess with Khali at least once a day about it. After about 2 weeks (as abyss_X3 stated) Loki decided to ENTER his old burrow while Khali is inside. Khali gets pissed, kicks him out. Finally the other day they started scrappin'....both of them outside the burrow shakin' and throwin' up pedipalp signs and stuff. They kept at it for almost 24 hours...don't worry, nobody's hurt...but the next day, around the same time they started fighting the day before, they were in the burrow together, NOT in each others faces. They've been that way since...

Thanks for the suggestions everybody...much appreciated.

jkurve

Arachnopeon
Seriously! That's the best analogy I can make...that was the first thing I thought when I first put them together...right off the bat Khali snatched up a cricket, and while holding it with his chelicerae, sort of 'jumped' (like when somebody's trying to start a fight and they're kinda froggy) at towards Loki with pedipalps extended wide...

I practically heard him tell Loki, "I run this shizz now, punk. Look, I'm even takin' your food...what ya gonna do about it, chump? That's what I thought..."

Wow...in the past I would've laughed at the thought of somebody personifying a scorpion...

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So are they "getting along" now? Thats good, all of mine were like that, i'll post a picture tommorow of my two emps and my h.spin all bundled up together looks like a scorpion orgy. But they havent left that hide for about a month.

charlie9

Arachnopeon
answer

I have two male emperors, almost exactly the same size, that reside in seperate terrariums. My first, Loki, is very docile, enough to be handled. The other, Khali, has quite a bit of energy...very fast.

My problem is this:
Knowing that emps are *usually* sociable, I tried putting them in the same terrarium when I purchased Khali. Khali, upon noticing Loki, immediately got in Loki's face, claws outstretched, VERY STILTED, tail curved to the point of it being past the front of his prosoma. Loki didn't do much of anything. He in no way appeared to be concerned, but didn't back down until pretty much forced. I took a pencil and hooked Khali's tail and got him away from Loki, but left them together. Khali found a cricket, held it in his "mouth," walked up to Loki and kinda "jumped" at him and spread out his claws, in what seemed like a "look what I have, punk," type of gesture.

Loki is in no way interested in Khali, and Khali never actually did anything other than pester Loki. I actually left them together for about 4 hours, unsupervised, and both were fine, I just seperated them for Loki's sake. They've been living seperate now for about 2 months, which I would countinue to do but now I have some questions...

I saw a picture on the net the other day of an "attempted" mating by two males. The only thing different is that Khali never actually grabbed Loki's claws. Could this be what is happening? I would think that if Khali was interested in killing or eating Loki he would have at least given it a decent shot in the four hours he had alone with Loki.

I'm just wondering if I should continue to keep them seperate or try putting them together again? I mean...after Khali realizes he can't mate with Loki, would he likely leave him alone or something else? Anything behaviors I should watch that might tell me exactly what the problem is? One terrarium is more than enough room for them both, and I wouldn't mind buying a different scorp to keep in the other one...
leave them seperated
unless you dont care if they fight or 1 gets killed or both.
emp scorpions are mostly aggressive, they are bullies.
you must have gotten lucky to get a docile one.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
thats not true, most are only territorial for a little while they make threats but take no actions. I had many emps before ive taken notes on all the behaviors of all my scorpions and i always see initial "fighting". They do become docile of they werent pet shops wouldnt place them together.

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
emp scorpions are mostly aggressive
Although I like to think that generally a healthy scorp is an aggressive one, in terms of more docile species, P. imperator is one of them, typically. Although, there will ofcourse be territorial disputes between cage mates. My female (an aggressive, skittish scorp) did kill my male (who was more docile, laid back) after a year of living in the same enclosure. Fights will occur... whether or not they end up fatal depends.

jkurve

Arachnopeon
Not knowing much, I would still have to agree with everything just said. They haven't gotten into any more altercations since they started bunking together. Not only that, but I set up as many hides as I could after initially putting them together...and they since they made friends they both use thye same hide and would have it no other way

And as far as them making threats but taking no actions...they are my first scorps, but that was spot on for these two. All pedipalp, no pinch.