Megaphobema robustum?

FatTim

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone. I have been considering getting a Megaphobema robustum. I haven't heard to much about other people owning them, Just read about them on the net. The main reason I want one is from what I read about their wierd defense habits. It sounds interesting to me. I would love to hear some advice/info from anyone out there who owns one of these gorgeous spiders. Thanks alot

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
FatTim said:
Hello everyone. I have been considering getting a Megaphobema robustum. I haven't heard to much about other people owning them, Just read about them on the net. The main reason I want one is from what I read about their wierd defense habits. It sounds interesting to me. I would love to hear some advice/info from anyone out there who owns one of these gorgeous spiders. Thanks alot
Megaphobema robustum (Columbian Giant)

Adult Size: 7.5" - 8" (IME but, Ive heard they get larger)

Temperment: Nervous, Defensive, Hair Kicker

They need to be kept in a more humid enclosure with good ventilation. They also are a terrestral/burrowing species that will burrow if given the opportunity. They also have spikes on their rear legs that they expose when aggitated.

That is all I know on the species at based on my experience and I hope it helps.

RVS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
From experience I can tell you this species appreciates somewhat cooler temperatures.
Awesome spiders though. You won't be disappointed

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just curious what sort of weird defense habits you are talking about?

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
MindUtopia said:
Just curious what sort of weird defense habits you are talking about?
I think he is refering to that leg/butt "thing" they do. :? Mine have slightly different behavior than my other T's in this regard. :) Kinda looks like this when they start to get irritated. :)

Last edited:

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
they are talking about the leg swing!!!lol and from my experience you really have to mess with them to get this defence activated....
also 7-8" is giving them alot of credit stone.....more like 5-6" mainly 5.5"
and yes they do like a cooler temp..keeping them at room temp should just be fine...nite temp give or take -10 from day.i keep them like P rufilata..as far as sub goes some say soke, while others say a mist a couple of times a week?..i would say mist 2x a week and they should be good.if its really hot....mine haven't complained yet...a good sub mix is 60%peat 40%verm. provide a hide and a depth of 3-5 inches depending on if you want it to burrow deep or just use its hide...either should be fine....mine are content to do both....they like to kick hair but seldom do unless you are really nosing in their business....but a nice species overall!!!great lookers...hope that helps

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Supposedly they have weird defense behaviors, like spinning around and hitting with the spikes on their back legs, but mine's a chicken and runs and buries its head at the slightest disturbance hahahahahahaha. I really like it though, because it's so pretty, and it has a funny way of stalking its food.

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
sick4x4 said:
they are talking about the leg swing!!!lol and from my experience you really have to mess with them to get this defence activated....
I agree most activities performed in and around their enclosures will not provoke the full swing!! :D

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a robustum and i LOVE it. About the defense things though, ive seen her bob up and down at me but i have never seen her spin around and kick at me. Ive noticed too that they like to be kept nice and moist and they dont like to be too hot. I keep my Ts at about 75 degrees but once my AC was broken for a day and she almost died. I dont mist mine too much, maybe twice a week but i live in south florida so its pretty humid here all the time. I definatly recomend this species though, they are really big and beautiful. Mine never turns down food either. If a cricket escapes while im feeding the others, i'll just through it in with her. Ive even seen her eat the drowned crickets from the water dish. The only real downside to them is the price, they are quite expensive. I paid $150 for mine.

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What I really noticed with my M. robustum sling was how sensitive they were to low humidity, especially as slings.

I initally kept mine in a kritter keeper, but it just dried out too fast, I noticed the T getting weak and not walking properly.

I now keep it in an 8" cube enclosure with holes drilled in it for ventilation, it has about 6" of peat to dig a burrow in. I keep the peat moist and a water dish filled all of the time.