getting a togo starburst need advice

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok im getting a togo starburst tommorow and I need advice, first should I get one of the large critter keepers or a ten gallon tank. if the tank how could i make a door or something in the screen. what does their temp humidity need to be. and any other advice you might have thanks

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Do you have any other tarantulas? If not.. you might want to put off the Togo for a while.. They have quite the reputation for being mean and quick.

Bill

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yeah I have a goliath bird eater and a rose hair and they're both doing great except my rose hair hasn't ate in a month but thats normal i have researched togo starburst on the web but i find that i can usually get better information here. any advice would be greatly appreciated i can't find much about them anywhere else.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Well, I don't have any myself, but here's what I know about them. They're Arboreal, so like height. They need places to hide. Most people I know keep them pretty moist, but that's probably debatable, as always. I would get a five gallon tank for an adult, and put it on end, making the lid custom out of plexiglass and such. (That's what I have planned for the one I'm getting soon)

Bill

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
yes thats the one togo starburst im not positive on the scientific name but i do believe thats it something like hetero?????sis mascul???sis or something like that

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
It's Heteroscodra maculata. They are a very fast, very defensive if they feel threatened, and also very secretive. I've gotten a good look at mine exactly twice: when I first got it, and when I chased it out of its hide (and across my room) to get a picture of it. But, as you know, they're also one of the most unique and beautiful looking tarantulas out there.

They do well on the dryer side for arboreals (not that I keep anybody very humid). A 10 gallon is probably too large unless you're getting an adult. At any rate, they will definitely need an arboreal type hide (cork bark or something leaning up against the side) and they are also very phototaxic so don't expect to see it in the open except when you first flip on the lights.

deifiler

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For god's sake DO THE RESEARCH BEFORE YOU ORDER IT

What if someone now says "oh i wouldn't get a togo.. my aunt died from it"

Or that they are too difficult for you to look after... answer? The spider dies

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Defensive terrestrial burrowers I can handle. But defensive arboreals are another thing. And I don't think my Cobalt Blue who thinks she's an arboreal at times counts as having aexperience with an aggressive arboreal. I have enough of a fun time with my Cinnamon Pinktoe sling as it is, what with it running laps around the lip of the jar whenever I've disturbed it. Defensive arboreals are just another thing completely. Not only are they quick but they're adept at climbing so that's a double danger. If you really must get a Togo Starburst, I highly recommend you get a Pet Pal with a snap tight lid on it. But that won't necessarily avert escape by a fast, defensive Arboreal. I'm happy at this point sticking to the Avic species.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Defensive Ts are pretty entertaining though. My Orange Baboon shot out of the top of the enclosure once and it took me fifteen minutes to figure out how to release him without him getting the best of my hand (he was on the floor of the enclosure, but launched out like a rocket when I popped the top slightly and I only opened it about an inch... he opened it the rest of the way when he came at the hood). I really wished my hand wouldn't have grabbed him so quick, but he was luckily unhurt and once I found out how to put him down, he stayed...permanently. I still only open his enclosure at feeding time, as always. I just modified the hood later on, so only a 2 inch by 2 inch portion has to open for his feeding. He is currently living a very happy, undisturbed and foodful life! *lol* Trust me, I was very lucky!

adios,
edw. =D

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I can just imagine the Togo Sunburst as being an Orange Baboon but at the tenth power.

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
First off, I second what a few others have said: Learn everything you can about this spider before you get it! I'd also recomend a different arboreal before moving to such an agressive species.

That said, here's my H. maculata's setup. For some reason, she prefers to floor of it to the top. That doesn't stop her from wandering around and poking fangs through the lid from time to time. I think the petpals are much better for species like this, as they have the feeding opening.

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Here's a photo of her hiding in the corner. I get to see her from time to time, but I have a trick for that. Her cage is in a corner. The place she sits gets NO light, ever. Because of that, she doesn't web up the wall :)

-Bryan

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That is a pretty cool warning sign. =D
I need some of those for Ts, Scorps, Centis, snakes, etc.

adios,
edw. :D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I agree on the agressiveness, unless you're ready to REALLY BEWARE... don't get one. My usambara also dashes for the opening every time I feed her. They're kinda scary... but I still love the damn thing. Awesomely beautiful!

Hey B-Where DID you get that sticker. I need BUNCHES of them!!

SurfinJB

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah watch out for this one. Mine is fast and aggressive and according to the Tarantula Keepers guide and some other t book I got layin around they have a very hot bite..Mine likes to hide but when I stick a chopstick in to clean up cricket remains it comes out to confrot me. I have even seen little drops of venom on the chopstick where it was bitten repeatedly- Glad it was just the chopstick. Anyway I was told it should be on the humid side at between 70-80%. I turned a large pet-pal up-right so as to have more height and leaned some cork bark against the walls. Just give it respect- my t.blondi is martha steward compared to this one.

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I always read all these threads talking about mean H. maculatas, I must have just really lucked out. Mine has never shown a threat posture and has never even flinched while I was doing cage maintenance. When she escaped around christmas time, she was flighty and hard to catch, but never reared up or struggled at all. Even when i was removing her eggsac she just sat there complacently. I guess maybe shes a candidate for some impressive handling photos, but then i guess id need a camera:rolleyes: .

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lycanthrope
I always read all these threads talking about mean H. maculatas, I must have just really lucked out. Mine has never shown a threat posture and has never even flinched while I was doing cage maintenance. When she escaped around christmas time, she was flighty and hard to catch, but never reared up or struggled at all. Even when i was removing her eggsac she just sat there complacently. I guess maybe shes a candidate for some impressive handling photos, but then i guess id need a camera:rolleyes: .
Mine's the same way, but I still have a DEEP respect for the species. I know what she's capable of.

-Bryan