Pet day at school

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well today was Pet day at the twins school and I was slotted last in line by choice after the other parents.
The other pets were shown. The bunny came out and it was very cute and the kids thought it sweet. Same with the fish, and the dog and the cat.
How sweet, so cute. I have one of those ect ect was the common line around the class.
Then Faith and Eden stood up and out came the T's.
:D
Gasps, awe widened eyes, murmurs and lines like WOW! Thats So Cool!
Were heard around the class.
Faith handled her A. Avic Razzle and her A. Versicolor Xenix and let them walk hand to hand while she told her class mates about feeding and watering and how they make web castles.
Eden held her Rosie Sunshine and her beasty boy B. emilia Zevo, and hand to hand they walked while Eden told about how they make web carpets on the ground to tell them when something is close and the differents between "Boy arms and girl arm" given Zevo has his boxed off palps and Sunshine has her smooth tappered girly palps.
Both girls acted as if they had been doing this twenty years and I was SO Proud.
One of the parents. One of the few not pasted to the back wall trying to be as far away as possable. Came up and asked if she could try holding Zevo.
Eden told her. "Ok, but you have to be Really calm and gentle so you don;t scare him and sit down cause he's a testal( twin speak for terestrial) and if he falls it could kill him Bad."
So I helped hold the parents hand, she was shaking like a leaf but Zevo strolled onto her hand from Eden's as pretty as you please and started of course up her arm. Eden took her other hand and showed her where to put it so Zevo could walk on it, keeping him from venturing further up the lady's arm.
After a few seconds the woman, wide eyed and giggly exclaimed it was So Cool! And felt kinda nice, like getting a little mini message.
The teacher. Not to be outdone, pried herself from the corner where she had stuffed herself and said. "Alriht. I have to try this, just once. If I let you go and I don't I'll always wonder."
I sware I thought all her bones would soon shake down in her feet when I took her hand. (To keep her from flipping Zevo into the air in fear Just in case, or intervien if he decided to take off skittish)
She held her breath and Eden put her hand out and Zevo took his walk about up her arm. She put her other hand up to let him stroll hand over hand with Eden's help and though she never stopped shaking. She did start breathing again and started to notice his beautiful colors and how interesting he was.
She and the other parent also held Razzle and Xeni and Sunshine for a few seconds.
Both were Massivly proud of themselves.
The kids all cheered them.
Most of them are going home to tell mom and dad "I Want a Tarantula!"
And the teacher wants to talk about how to set a tank up in the class to have one there as class mascott.
The mom who decided to beat out her fear and hold one was on her way to pick out a rosie from the shop i told her to go too.
With a paper tucked in her purse with This site adress. :D
The twins are now the coolest kids in the world.
And our bugs are back home munching crickets and oblivious to the fact that they were such great embasadors of the T world and changed several views today from negative to possative.
And I am a very very Very proud mommy.
:)

Lasiodora

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That's awesome. We didn't have any cool kids like that when I was in grade school.:)
Mike

luther

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That's the best thing I've ever read on a message board. Well done Nixy. I'll have to try this at my daughter's school.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
NIXY THAT IS SO AWESOME!!!!! I've NEVER had a day like that at school. You are one bitchen mama and the twins are the greatest!! We'll convert the arachophobic world yet!

I have a presentation coming up next month and can only pray it comes out as good as yours... hey everyone: call your local elementary school today and you too could have an awesome story like Nixy's (and the admiration of the entire website!!)

BIG OLE 8 LEGGED HUGS FOR NIXY AND HER TWINS

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
And I am a very very Very proud mommy.
And so you should be.......you have done one TERRIFIC job with your twins.:D :D You also have the most wonderful way of writing about your experiences.:D You are quite gifted in the way you put your words together......it makes for a very enjoyable read.:D

AND.......if your spideys could read......well.....they would probably give you 8 legged hugs!=D

Nothing better for helping to cure arachnophobia than reading about one of your T experiences.:)

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
great job Nixy. a couple months back a preschool came to the shop for a fieldtrip. i was the "tour guide" for about 25 preschool kids. the fieldtrip went very well, and later that day the teachers returned with a 25 page book made by the children, a page made by each kid. well, every page in that book was a picture of a tarantula or scorpion=D . i can just see all the little 4 and 5 year olds going home and saying " mommy can i have a tarantula?" i just got word yesterday ill be leading another fieldtrip on april 29th, 32 students grades 1-5. (evil laughter);P

That Guy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a couple months back a preschool came to the shop for a fieldtrip. i was the "tour guide"
did you show them a T. Blondi? Or a Cobalt? did you show them a feeding?

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
nope just a rosie and a few P. imperator. its all in the presentation my friend;) .

JDK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Good for them.

Yet another thing that helps degrade the fear and phobias of arachnids. Perhaps you inspired some kids to do the same.

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
*lol* Yeah, show the kids a friggin' Orange Baboon or something. *lol* that'll cure the arachnophobia!!! hahah! Naw, we have to cure the arachnophobia so they start getting curious about the meaner ones and eventually grow up to like them like we did. I used to catch anything and everything I could in North Carolina and take it to school. I freaked out quite a number of people with venomous & non-venomous snakes, lizards, scorpions, spiders, mantids and everything else I could get my hands on. To this day, I love them more than I did then and have such a great respect for them all, being such resiliant creatures. They are awesome and I currently can't count how many scorps I have, considering they are constantly breeding. Soon, I will probably breed or sell my Lasiodora parahybana (one or the other). She is measuring at near max size, so we'll just have to see how I do with her, considering her age. Great story!

adios,
edw. :D

LunarFaery

ArachnoDiva
Old Timer
What an awesome mommy you are to both the 2 legged and 8 legged critters in your house!!

What an expirence that class will never forget!!I would have loved to seen pictures :)

Jen

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lycanthrope
nope just a rosie and a few P. imperator. its all in the presentation my friend;) .
Exactly! Show them how GENTLE they are and never, NEVER, let them know we refer to Usambaras as "Orange Bitey Things!"

Why don't you call your local newspaper and see if they would like to do an article on the presentation. Get the word out!!!!!=D

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
People still think I'm crazy for owning Tarantulas. Get this. There is this guy that works at the Petshop I went to last night. He says he won;t touch spiuders but he will handle Centipedes who are more bitey than most Tarantulas. That's just plain crazy.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
that is awesome Nixy :)
We've been doing this at Shelby's school for 2 years, and the kids just love it!
We try and vary the Ts we bring, and Shelby and I will do handling demonstrations. I don't let the other kids do it at school, I'm worried about liability...but some of her classmates that come over and play have held the Ts.
There is nobody in Shelby's class (either this year or last) that is terrified of tarantulas anymore, and quite a few are asking if we can give them one!
In fact, apparently Shelby was at school the other day promising free versicolor slings to any kid that wanted one....yikes!!!!

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(grins and hugs all back)
Yep we had a ball.
The teacher called and wants them to come back one day.
I have the twins afternoon class the 18'th to do.
They Can't wait.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Nixy
(grins and hugs all back)
Yep we had a ball.
The teacher called and wants them to come back one day.
I have the twins afternoon class the 18'th to do.
They Can't wait.
That is an absolutely wonderful story, Nixy. And a great day for the tarantula-keeping hobby!

Joy

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wanted to print them out a few little coloring pages I did and some fun and games sheets I had made up about T's with the twins.
But my printer decided that That would be the best time to buy the farm on me. (&^%*%^$&$#@@)
But there Will be other days.
So I can shoot for those.