Cork Bark question

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just got in a couple pieces from black jungle. Suppose to be tubes but they sent 1/2 rounds, o well still usable. The question is, do you all also oven bake your cork to sterilize or is this a waste of time with this product? I always have in the past. I bake it at around 185F for about an hour. Just curious what everyone else does with theirs if anything at all.

Thnx :)

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
I've never baked cork bark, and I've had no problems at all with it.

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok thnx, guess im a little paraniod about the little critters i cant see;)

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The moment you start feeding your Ts in their enclosure, you've got lots of little critters you can't see.

Don't be so paranoid, no reason to be. Ts have their natural defenses, they tolerate much worse in their natural environments than we face them with in our homes.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i havent baked any of my cork bark and seems to usualy be free of anything bad.one thing u might wanna watch out for which ive been having prolems with is corkbark growing mold.if your gonna use bark in a small vial or jar that will be kept moist alot ive been settin the enclosure up and watching it for a couple of days to make sure mold doesnt apear before i introduce the spider.i never had problems with bark growing mold before but lately this has been happeing.also i get all my corkbark from black jungle aswell.

Sharpy808

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thnx a lot for the replies. I baked it anyways, and there going in with my C. Cyaneopubescens so the mold/fungus shouldnt be a prob.

Preciate the input :)

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You really do not need to be that paranoid, but I guess I use to worry alot too and now I don't.

Sometimes by trying to be "too sterile" you get rid of the good organisms that fight off the "bad" ones as well as killing the bad ones.

Dirt from your yard would be perfectly acceptable as it is for substrate, provided it's pesticide free.

I've never had any problems with mold on corkbark and I use it with almost all my Ts, even those that need moist substrate and I've still never had a problem.

Good luck.