tibial spurs appear... how quickly?

Delailah

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My B. smithii has been molting since around 11am, and finally looking like she/he may be able to flip upright within the next few hours.

My question: during their ultimate molt, are tibial spurs visible immediately after they shed their old exoskeleton? Or, do they take a few weeks to develop after the ultimate molt?

Since this is rather new to me, and I don't have a ton of confidence in my exuvium sexing abilities, I'm looking for tibial spurs instead to get a tentative sex on this T.

Thanks!

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
They are apparent immediately. So are the enlarged pedipalps. You will look at the pedipalps and go "whoa". Hope that helps.
Jodi

SoupyC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Is the T big enough for this to potentially be an ultimate molt?

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
to the untrained eye the palps are a much easier identification. Some species hooks are very thin and very easy to miss (my P. murinus post some months back comes to mind lol):8o

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Oh, you can't use this as a method to sex your T. The smithi will only get hooks and emboli if it is its maturing molt. This only happens once in its lifetime and it happens at the end of the male's lifespan. How big is this T? How long have you had it and at what size did you get it. These can be used as clues to its sex.
Jodi

Taylor

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
my P.z.b. just matured into a mail, so on there mature mole they will have the hooks, wich i think just look like a patch of hair at first, than once you get used to it, you will see the hook. The pedipalps will have the bulb at the bottom much easier to see. You will deffinatley see the difference in the pedipalps. they get lots bigger. hope that helps.
Peace.

Glen Southern

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you have to ask then it isn't mature. One of my B. Smithi Males matured earlier this week and both the bulbs on his Pedipalps and his tibial spurs could be since through the glass. The bulbs are a deep red color at frist and are very shiny. I'm a bit worried about mine (Frank) as his front legs (Leg I on both sides) seem very thin. Mind you, I always worry around a molt time.

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brachypelma spp. are extremely easy to sex with an exuvium. The spermethecae are quite large and impossible to miss on a B. smithi. If you haven't seen it yet then I suspect you have an immature male on your hands. Also, as others stated, the emboli and tibial apophysis (hooks) are quite noticeable and can be seen immediately following the molt. Also, this will only happen on the ultimate (maturing) molt as mentioned already.

bonesmama

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why don't you post a pic of the exuvium? We can sex it for you.