Is it a G. Rosea?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I'm picking up an adult T today, she's labeled as a G. rosea, but she's very blonde and although the carapace is the correct color, she doesn't seem to be as hairy. She really does not look like a rosie, but she's an enigma to me and I had to buy her. $13.99... who could pass her up. I'll get some pictures this weekend, but I was wondering if anyone has a color phase similar to this.:?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
O.K. I just picked her up... she's beautiful, looks to be about a month to 2 weeks before a molt but... this is so weird... she SMELLS! There are two eraser sized dry poops in the deli container, and I sniffed them... they really don't smell much!! The smell is a cross between poo-poo and the smell of a week old road kill and kinda strong.

Has anyone every had a stinky T before?!?!?:?

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
No, I'm at work... wait... would it be harmful to put her on my scanner??!!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I just put a wet paper towel in front of her and she's got her face ALL in it. I wonder how long she's been without water? Looking for a small enuf container to get her a PROPER drink, or I'll just put a drop in my fingernail... that usually works!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
O.K. I showed her to my friend who said that she is a "brown phase" and probably worth more than I paid for her. Is there a brown phase?

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, afaik there are brown/reddish rosies, and pink/greyish rosies. They once thought the brown/reddish ones were Grammostola cala, but after getting both color morphs from one eggsac, it's all Grammostola rosea.
I doubt if the brown/red one are more rare ...

Dennis

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
One of the Great T Men, Rick West, was kind enough and knowledgeable enough to andwer this mystery. I'll post it for all to see so that we, too, can be smart like him!:D

Yes, Grammostola rosea is polymorphic, as are many theraphosid
spider species. _There is a common 'brown phase', where the
entire color is brownish, except the carapace is faintly purplish.
There's the 'bi-color' phase where the entire color is pale orangy
brown with a grape purple carapace. _Finally, there's the less
common 'red phase' where the entire body & carapace are orangy
red ... some dealers/hobbyists erroneously call the latter G. cala.
Hope this helps.
Rick

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
I FINALLY got pics of my gorgeous brown phase. I put her next to my other rosie so you can see the difference. My puuurty girls!!

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
WOW! what a gorgeous gray/purple G. rosea!!! mine must definitely be a brown phase then because it looks nothing like that. ohmygod, how beautiful! you must be very proud. :)

okay, how the hell do i post a picture??? :(

Last edited:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Why thank you kind sir! She takes after MY side of the family!!!:D

When you post a reply, scroll down a bit until you see: "Attach file"
Click on the "Browse..." button and attach away!

I've only figured out how do one at a time though, and nobody will share their secret of posting multiple pics in one post!!!

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
I've only figured out how do one at a time though, and nobody will share their secret of posting multiple pics in one post!!!
Hmmm.. Me too... I am going to figure it out, and then I am gonna spill the beans to EVERYONE here.. Bwaaa Haaaa Haaaa....

;P

Ali

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
ALI IS A BIG MEANIE!!!!!

skadiwolf: she's puuuuuurty!

I LOVE T pictures! I'm giving a presentation for 45 thrid graders tomorrow a.m. I'm gonna take LOTS o' PICS!!!

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
oh, just fyi...i'm a chic. (grin) hehehe.

but no offense taken! ;)

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Am Not! Am Not! ;P

I keep meaning to check into the "rules" around here about presentations. I had thought about doing that before, but a woman I know who works at the local pet store said that she used to take her herps around to schools and such, but that she can't anymore, because you have to be certified? I'm not sure what kind of certification, but I intend to find out. According to her, it is the entire state of KY, not just our local schools that have this rule. Anyone know any different?

Ali

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Yes you are!!! And a cute one too... look out for these guys, they're animals!! (Kidding;) ) I'm just jealous cuz I USED to be a hottie, but now am just an old lady! :D

As far as presentations go, I know nothing of rules. As long as the school invites me, I'm there!
I DO know that students are not allowed to bring certain things to school with THEM, animals included. You could probably surf the web and find out the statutes for your local school district.

And I'll take back the big meanie part if you figure out how to post multiple pics and share your secret with me!!=D

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
awww, thanks! |)

whatever...hey, you go from being a cutie to being a fabulously gorgeous woman right? think of it that way. ;)

i still find it amusing that i'm almost 30 and referred to as 'cute'.

(laughing all the way to the grave)