Pale Naarceus americanus millipede

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pale Narceus americanus millipede

I collected this N. americanus millipede about a month ago. At first I thought the lack of coloring was due a recent molt. However, color has not changed.

Last edited:

Twilight

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lol....thats cool. Maybe my parents would have liked it more back then if it was white...since thats my mom's favorite color :rolleyes:

I hear however that albinos actually have the bad genes and that their genes make it so that they don't live as long lives as the ones that aren't. I don't know I read it somewhere but have forgotten if it was either because of the coloration which goes against its natural means of camaflouging however u spell it, and therefore having predators go after them more, or is it simple genetics where their lives are cut short due to something essential lost with the color.

Haha I'm just babbling on, check it out if you're interested. Its just everything I read a long time ago so its probably inaccurate to an extent, I read it mostly about the pinkies that we have. They're white and some magazine or whatever said that they have shorter lives than the brown/black common house/field mice. Good day.

Mads

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The claim that albinos don't tend to live as long is true, but it has nothing to do with the color. Remember to produce albinos you need to have two animals that carry the albino gene, mate them together and then you will get 25% of the offspring showing the albino color. This is easiest to do with related animals (ie: brother/sister matings). The problem is that the color change is the only change you notice. There are also genetic traits associated with the albino gene that affect the internal organs. Therefore animals that are albinos many times aren't as healthy and don't live as long. In many species of animals when an albino is produced (like in many snakes) the breeders will immediatly start outcrossing to totally unrelated animals. This is to try and correct, or breed out, the undesirable traits, and keep the desirable traits (markings or color).

Hope that made sense, I have it in my head, just not good at getting it out in words! lol

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
You are very lucky to have found one. Now you can make a line unrelated to everyone else's.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Without another albino, one would need to wait until the 3rd generation to see further albinos at a 25% rate. Then you get the inbreeding effect.

The only other albinos I am aware of are from Orin M who is asking $70 for one. Too steep for me. He did confirm for me that the color of this millipede was nothing like anything to due with pending or recent molting.

Here's the link to the thread mentioned below
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=46686

Last edited:

J Morningstar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You guys didn't search for the posts to this...
Mantid Assassin has started a breeding colony of these. I remember very distinctly reading the thread. He had gotten a few some how or something of the like, then he got those to mate and about 2/3rds of his came out "albino"
But I also believe that this was discussed to be not a true Albino in the correct medical sense but a white colorform that lacks most natural pigments. So they are most likely not blind. And do not have all the problems of true albinos.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Without another albino, one would need to wait until the 3rd generation to see further albinos at a 25% rate. Then you get the inbreeding effect.

The only other albinos I am aware of are from Orin M who is asking $70 for one. Too steep for me. He did confirm for me that the color of this millipede was nothing like anything to due with pending or recent molting.

I would like to create a line of albino N. americanus milipedes, I think they would be neat.

Here's the link to the thread mentioned below
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=46686
I purchased some from orin. I have a pair and they are about 1.5 in right now.

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
You guys didn't search for the posts to this...
Mantid Assassin has started a breeding colony of these. I remember very distinctly reading the thread. He had gotten a few some how or something of the like, then he got those to mate and about 2/3rds of his came out "albino"
But I also believe that this was discussed to be not a true Albino in the correct medical sense but a white colorform that lacks most natural pigments. So they are most likely not blind. And do not have all the problems of true albinos.
I know it is only "albino" but I haven't seen anyone come up with a better term for it yet. I thought Orin bought the only pair the other guy had, making his and this one the only ones known out there. (Aside from the babies)

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
albino n. , pl. -nos . A person or animal lacking normal pigmentation, with the result being that the skin and hair are abnormally white or milky.
There are many different ways to define albino, and nearly all of them are true of the albino Narceus. If the skin/hair part of the definition were to be argued, then there would be no such thing as albino snakes, turtles, etc.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Albino CAN be linked to other problems but the albino Narceus are some of the strongest, hardiest millipedes I've ever reared. The reason for the original price was there were only a few dozen of them that existed anywhere.

Last edited:

fantasticp

Arachnocompulsive
Old Timer
Albino CAN be linked to other problems but the albino Narceus are some of the strongest, hardiest millipedes I've ever reared. The reason for the original price was there were only a few dozen of them that existed anywhere.
I don't think anyone was trying to rip on your prices. I think they were totally fair considering.

padkison

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry if I caused any offense by my comment "Too steep for me". I think the white Narceus is a great concept, just a limited budget at the moment. Emphasis should be on the "me" in my comment.

I'll try to get some better pics of the one I have to see how it compares with Orin's.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I don't think anyone was trying to rip on your prices. I think they were totally fair considering.
Sorry, I didn't think it was a rip, I was just saying they were expensive because there were very very few of them not because they are difficult or weak (some albinos are difficult and weak).
Once enough people are breeding them I bet they'll end up pretty inexpensive. Still they are very handsome so I don't think they'll ever be really cheap.