• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Acanthoscurria geniculata

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Breeding report
Acanthoscurria geniculata

Date: 9_25_06
Time: 8:15 pm
Temp: 75°f
Lighting: normal
Male on loan from surena

The pair was introduced on 9_25_06. Male produced sperm web on 9_23_06. Upon being placed into the female's enclosure I noticed some drumming and nodding movements by the female. These were followed by more drumming and more twitching behavior from the male. After a few minutes the male approached the female and started tapping on her legs. He then proceeded to lift her up and started mating. She was quite receptive to the male and I noticed no signs of aggression. I believe he got a successful insertion but I'm not 100% postive. After the initial mating the male retreated to the corkbark log in the tank with his back facing the female. They sat in this position for a few more minutes. I gently nudged the male to get him to turn around and face the female, but she quickly grabbed him before I could react. I tried separating them with forceps but I was too late. The female then proceeded to devour the male with no sign of remorse.

outcome: unsure

photos by chris allen/doug richar

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Unsuccessful

My computer crashed earlier this year, but I'm going to try and reconstruct using what information I have. In this case, I don't have a lot.

The female was mine, the male a loaner. She was bred, I think, in last November and wintered with everyone else in the common room. In December, the temps were droped to 65. Flooding begn in January, when temps were increased to 70. In February, they rose again to 75 (I also continued to flood for this species, because she was wallowing in her water dish--this species seems to want it very wet) and temps were back to 80 in March. The A. geniculata laid her sac on 03/09/07, and she was an extremely sweet female right up until I pulled her sac on 03/30/07. To this day, she still hasn't forgiven me.

On 04/10/07 I opened the sac. There wasn't a bad egg in there, but there was also no development. I closed the sac and let it go another 10 days. On 04/20/07 I again opened the sac. No development and the eggs were beginning to dry out. Male infertile? I counted for the heck of it. There were 2107. The eggsac was a little smaller than a tennis ball and it was very thick, feeling almost like paper on the bottom. Very interesting.

Jonathan Rice

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Date: May 22, 2007
Time: 1:30pm
Temperature: 76 Degrees F
Humidity: 65%
Lighting Conditions: Dimmed

Male Acanthoscurria geniculata matured sometime in early May. I can't give you the exact date because it was, at that time, in the care of Gabriel (it's previous owner)

The Female, I've had for about a year last molted on April 10. Since then I've been feeding her all that she cares to eat. Only until I moved the MM next to her cage and she started refusing food.

Brief Summary
This was the third time pairing the two up. The female drums a lot at night, but until today the male never seemed interested. I opened the male's enclosure, then the female's. I gently coaxed the male into the female's cage and immediately he picked up a scent. They started drumming at each other and the female and male began walking about each other drumming. The male became so excited he started getting more aggressive in his efforts and started drumming on the female's abdomen while she webbed the ground and corner. They climbed on the walls drumming and even just outside the cage itself and in the end, it ended with no insertions just a stalemate. They sat facing each other, still as statues for nearly 30 minutes. I gently coaxed the male away from the female and they started drumming to each other again.

They drummed to each other getting closer and closer until the male pushed the female up and made several insertions. It was hard to see just how many were made because every angle was a bad angle, unfortunately. The male did his thing and escaped from harms way. With much reluctance, I got the male back into his enclosure and he immediately sat over his water dish and drank for a good 5 minutes. He is still there.

Total Time: 1 hr.

macilacispiders

Arachnopeon
Acanthoscurria geniculata breeding

Mating:05th Aug 2009.

Kokon laid:24th Oct 2009.

Kokon opened: 27th Dec 2009. (L2)

Number of slings: around 1000

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6rbrLkYkBdI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6rbrLkYkBdI&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Nada

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
successful

initial pairing January 2014
Female 6.5" Mature Male 7"
I paired on 4 occasions, and witnessed insertions on the 1st two pairings, they mated for about 30 seconds each time.
I kept the female at 82-86* dry with a waterbowl
April 26 2014 sac was laid.
I pulled the sac on day 40 to find 1st instars.
I put the 1st instars in a water incubator ( sterilite with delicups, and about 1" of water)
on Day 96 the 1st 2nd instar molted out.
all have molted to 2i on day 98
final count 1,399... (ONE MORE!!!! lol)
no bad eggs, no dead 1i.

No pics of the actual pairing, I was concerned with her agression.