Vagans in slight death curl???

Andyn6969

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My vagans molted 2 days ago and ever since has been looking very ill was thinking of putting him into icu earliar but thought id come here first!! Its in slight death curl, last nite i put a small pot filled with water in there and carefully nudged him up to it and it barely dragged itself into it and sat there curled up for a while!! So i then nudged it back too its hide and covered it over and left it over nite! I checked earliar and seems even worse!! Just seeing if any ideas wot i should do i dont really want to mess around with it too much coz obviousley very tender after moulting!! cheers!! Andy!!

Redip Spider

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
post molt....

How big is it? How pronounced is the death curl?

I've caught a sling in a "slight death curl" position after molting. It scared me, but I think it was just stretching. In fact, I reacted just as you did and almost put it in an ICU. But after I thought about it for a minute I decided not to and everything ended up fine.

However your case sounds like it could be more serious. But it could be that your T is simply not moving around because it just molted and it's stressed.

If it's just a "slight" death curl, my advice would be to wait it out (this seems to be the standard advice). If it's a serious death curl, I dunno.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
if it stops moving and reacting almost completely then flip it over and put a drop of water on it's mouth as often as you can

i have actually saved ~15% of the spiders that are in death curls that i have found

Andyn6969

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Its about 4.5" to 5" pretty much fully grown infact since its molt its a very definite male!! when i put it back into the viv earliar it sort of tipped on its side and sat there not moving and im not sure but looks like one of feelers may be damaged ill try get pics!! but when it walks around its as though its legs are too long and just keep bending under him and drags itself along!!

Dr Pies

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It's still hardening, the legs are going to be 'floppy' and it will curl and stretch over the next week or so. Sounds like your tarantula is acting normal to me.

Andyn6969

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Im really sad my vagans was dead earliar when i checked im just puzzled of how it died!!