Genus Selenobrachys

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does this species normally have a small abdomen? (I know some certainly are "fatter"than others.. or is it fresh off a molt? size? nice pic!

Christopher

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Does this species normally have a small abdomen? (I know some certainly are "fatter"than others.. or is it fresh off a molt? size? nice pic!

Christopher
Not sure if they typically have a small abdomen. This one was just really hungry and may be fresh from a molt. After a cricket a day for almost a week it's starting to put on some wieght. Its abdomen does appear to be more elongated than other species though. I think it's about 2" or so right now but I can't judge size and it's too fast to put next to a ruler. :D

Thanks for looking, guys. :)

rex_arachne

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
that's a beautiful asian T. not an expert but, i think males have smaller abdomens.

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
cool t david. i'm not too familiar with these at all. kind of makes me think of a trap door spider. (the color of the carapace)

rex...you can make a males abdomen very fat if he is a big eater. :D

it looks like it had fairly recent molt to me, but i could be wrong.

TheDarkness

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I hope this new sp. is established in hobby...

It is extremely rare, right?

do you have a couple?? or someone?

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hope this new sp. is established in hobby...

It is extremely rare, right?

do you have a couple?? or someone?
I hope they get established as well. I'm not sure how rare they are...just that there's not a lot of info on them online. I'm supposed to have two but a bit of a problem came up so I'm waiting for the second to be reshipped.

Brian,

I never really thought about them looking like a trapdoor spider. I think you're right; the carapace does kinda remind me of one, too. This one though, unlike a trapdoor spider, has crazy, spindly legs. Kinda creepy. :D

c-land

Arachnopeon
That's an awesome looking tarantula! Did you get these from a dealer on the boards? I'm always curious where some of these rarely seen (or even heard of) species are available. Thanks,
Mike

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
New crappy pic. Silly thing wouldn't sit still long enough to get anything good. Forget running. If I want to excercise I'll just take this spider out and try to get pics of it.

It's molted once but I wasn't able to get the exuvium so I still don't know if it's male or female.

ronin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is beautiful. We'll see what mine turns out to be. Who knows, maybe we'll have a breeding pair.

jean-manu

Arachnopeon
It's molted once but I wasn't able to get the exuvium so I still don't know if it's male or female.

Hi,

Your specimen seems to measure more than 3 cm of BL and with this size it is easily possible to differentiate the males and the females.

Unfortunately I do not have any pictures to prove what I says but the females have a very marked epigastric furrow contrary to the males.

Some pictures of my female :

A "dirty" picture of the matting :

4 months after :

At the moment the larvae are at the second stage (that you call 3rd instar if I remember)

Greetings,

Emmanuel.

jean-manu

Arachnopeon
Nice ! How big is your female ?
Hello,

My female measures 6 cm of BL and approximately 15 cm of legspan, it is a young adult. (sorry for the metric system, I could not convert into inches)
I know that some females measure up to 7 cm of BL, it is the biggest species of Theraphosidae which lives in Philippines.

;)

Emmanuel.

ronin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great pics Emmanuel. It'll be great to watch those slings turn into that beautiful orange.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Here's one of my many Selenobrachys philippinus "Philipino Orange" that I have. I can't wait till they get bigger!

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
At the moment the larvae are at the second stage (that you call 3rd instar if I remember)

Greetings,

Emmanuel.

Wow Congratulations on the slings... even if I'm from the Philippines.. it's still prretty hard to acquire that kind of species here.. and I've never heard a successful captive breeding of that species from hobbyists here.. again Cogratulations!! :D