T Blondi problems

Mikey_Deadcat

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Alrtight ive always wanted one of these and i finally got one. But ive noticed that mine has a small abdomen and long legs and its still a juvi. But i was wondering does this mean its a male or is it to early to tell if the legs or abdomen mean anything in sexing. Ive heard males have longer legs and smaller abdomens but didnt know if this was a judge of juvis not just adults?
IUm just worried that mines a male i wanted a female.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't think thats a way to tell if its a male yet. Just feed it, plumpin up its abdomen, maybe itll look more femalish then.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya you might want to wait a bit, male and female look to much alike in body style when young. And in my experence its better to wait for a molt to sex. Unless its with an easier species like Brachys but even then molt is still the definate and final answer.

IguanaMama

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Na, if you just got it you don't know when it last molted. All juvie blondi's have small abdomins and long legs, ESPECIALLY after a molt. Feed it some, but not too much and wait for a molt. How big is it? They are not too hard to sex ventrally if it is decent size and you can get a good picture we might be able to help you out. Male blondis tend to live longer than most other species after their ultimate molt, so if it is male, you still have a good long time with it until it matures, then you can find it a girlie, just make sure she's with an experienced breeder, and then you can get him back and some of his babies too! Congratulations on your new spider.

Johnny_27

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My blondi is the same way but Its definatly female. I got it as an (almost) adult (about 8 inches) and im feeding her roaches now to get that booty bigger.

kitty_b

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my 4-5" male is sporting a huge bum after feasting for two days on a subadult male hisser roach.

don't let the lack of junk in the trunk fool you ;)

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alrtight ive always wanted one of these and i finally got one. But ive noticed that mine has a small abdomen and long legs and its still a juvi. But i was wondering does this mean its a male or is it to early to tell if the legs or abdomen mean anything in sexing. Ive heard males have longer legs and smaller abdomens but didnt know if this was a judge of juvis not just adults?
IUm just worried that mines a male i wanted a female.
I would wait for the T to molt to get a positive ID on the sex. Usually T.blondi has a small abdomen in the weeks to follow a molt. So just feed your T well and keep a large enough water dish for your T to fit into, full of fresh water.
Yes normally males do have longer legs and smaller abdomens when they reach maturity, this may be because they grow and mature faster than females do.