Question about my future emp.

Halgeir

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm getting a Pandinus Imperator scorpion soon, and I have a few questions.

1)
Do scorpions need any special lightning?

2)
The one I'm getting is aprox 3 CM, is a 30x30x30 enclosure big enough?

3)
The petstore where I live usually only sells big crickets and mealworms. What can I do to make sure the food is small enough for the scorpion to eat? Since they never have pinheads etc.

4)
I've read the caresheet on http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/P-imperator.html
Is there anything else I should know about these before getting it?

Sincerely,
Morten

Last edited:

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
1) No, may want additional heating, not necessary.

2)Yes, more than big enough. I would say maybe too big.

3)As long as said crickets are of equal size or smaller, the scorp should be able to take it. If not, pre-killing/maiming is an option.

4) Provide a water dish at all times, make sure it is shallow enough that scorp can easily get in and out (no sponges or anything, it wont drown)
Use peat or compressed coco-fibre bricks for subtrate, 6-8inches deep. Search false bottom for additional help on tank setup ideas (plus the tank picture thread)

Halgeir

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
1) No, may want additional heating, not necessary.

2)Yes, more than big enough. I would say maybe too big.

3)As long as said crickets are of equal size or smaller, the scorp should be able to take it. If not, pre-killing/maiming is an option.

4) Provide a water dish at all times, make sure it is shallow enough that scorp can easily get in and out (no sponges or anything, it wont drown)
Use peat or compressed coco-fibre bricks for subtrate, 6-8inches deep. Search false bottom for additional help on tank setup ideas (plus the tank picture thread)
Thanks for quick answer.

Too big a tank? Could it become a problem for the scorpion? If so, I'll just buy a petbox while it grows.

No sponges? Cause I thought of that in the water dish. Would it be a problem for the scorpion? So I should just have a small water dish?

Bryan91901

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks for quick answer.

Too big a tank? Could it become a problem for the scorpion? If so, I'll just buy a petbox while it grows.

No sponges? Cause I thought of that in the water dish. Would it be a problem for the scorpion? So I should just have a small water dish?
I had a similar size tank for my first emp/scorpion. Maintenance is just gonna be that much harder. I put my emp in a 2.5 gallon now and its doing fine. It finds its food faster, much easier to keep moist, and much easier to change the substrate.

Halgeir

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I had a similar size tank for my first emp/scorpion. Maintenance is just gonna be that much harder. I put my emp in a 2.5 gallon now and its doing fine. It finds its food faster, much easier to keep moist, and much easier to change the substrate.
When you say easier to change the substrate, how often do you change? Cause I've been told that if you're good at picking out the left overs from crickets and etc. You need to change the substrate 2-3 times a year for spiders.

Do I need to change it more often with scorpions?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am doing good to change substrate once a year. It really doesnt need it unless you get mites or mold

Halgeir

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I am doing good to change substrate once a year. It really doesnt need it unless you get mites or mold
Right, that's what I thought.
I'll just do it like that.

Though - I've seen alot of scorpion owners use some sand-like substrate.
Is this more appriciated then other substrate?

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Large tanks can cause a problem in it being too hard for the scorp to find food, and its harder to keep humidity etc like previously mentioned. It is generally not detrimental, but its not recommended.

No sponges, they will only attract fungus/mold/bacteria. Emps can be completely submerged for a decent amount of time, so dont worry about drowning, so long as it can easily get into and out of it (ie. low sided/shallow water dish)

Substrate should be either peat, coco fibre, or soil. No sand, as Emps are tropical (one generally finds sand in the desert, not in a rain forest)

Halgeir

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok.
Thanks alot for the response.
I think I'll see if I got the economy to buy a pet box or something alike when I get it.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Im pretty sure a petbox is the same thing as a kritter keeper.

jimmysp4des

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I own a few Emps myself, might I suggest using the false bottom method, it keeps the substrate moist with minimal effort on your part.

Halgeir

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I measure the enclosure in CM.

And I'm from Norway - Kristiansand to be exact.

Halgeir

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Jøss, en nordmann!
Alltid hyggelig :D
Takk for svar og link!

"Wee, a norwegian!
Always a pleasure :D
Thanks for the reply and the link!"