How dangerous is mold?

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The bad news is that I found some mold growing on the climbing apparatus in my P. irminia's jar. (AKA the little twig) The good news is I've finally found a substrate that seems to hold its moisture to a level that meets my satisfaction. I spot cleaned the twig. My question is: how concerned should I be? Do I need to rehouse or just let it air out and keep it a little dryer in the future?

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The bad news is that I found some mold growing on the climbing apparatus in my P. irminia's jar. (AKA the little twig) The good news is I've finally found a substrate that seems to hold its moisture to a level that meets my satisfaction. I spot cleaned the twig. My question is: how concerned should I be? Do I need to rehouse or just let it air out and keep it a little dryer in the future?
The twig that molded and anything that has or had mold should be discarded before it contaminates the enclosure. Mold can kill tarantulas.

A good way to help control mold is increase the number of airholes because good ventilation/airflow prevents mold.

Also let the enclosure air out a bit keep a full waterdish and mist the container lid for humidity. I try to keep the substrate slightly moist and keep the decorations dry. That's just what I do and it works for me.

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with stonemantis's suggestions. I would also add not using natural wood for climbing if it continues to be a problem. With some of my higher humidity species, I use fake rubber "wood" climbs and sturdy artificial plants. They don't have the same likelihood of molding as more natural substances.

elyanalyous

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
exo terra has those posable vines, i'd use those instead if you have a problem with mold in the future

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use corkbark , Ironwood , and bogwood . they all seem to be fine,, its sticks you get form outside that tend to be the ones that will molder on ya. at least in my experience.

6StringSamurai

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use wood from trees around my house all the time and I've never had a mold problem. I have plenty of ventilation holes in the enclosures and I bake the wood in a 300 degree oven for about 30 mins before I use it. That is hot enough to kill most things but I've never had anything catch fire at that temp.

Did you do anything similar with your twigs?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
as long as there isn't wall to wall carpet of mold it's generally not that big of a deal.

when i first started out with bugs i was all anal about it, now i just pinch out mold patches when i find them.

any kind of natural wood is going to be covered in spores when you get it, so moister enclosures will mold it up pretty quick like. you could try boiling foundling wood, but even then i don't think it will completely kill off mold spores

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Spot treating the area with peroxide will kill it it also. If its a small patch I also just spot clean it.

If it keeps coming back especially in the same area more drastic measures are needed.

As long as you get it before it sporulates ( forms and releases spores which then would contaminate the whole enclosure. Also I believe its the spores that would be most harmful to the ts if they get into the booklungs, which are always moist, and grow there you get a dead t.

Ungweliante

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If you want to properly sterilise collected wood, the proper microbiological procedure for it is 3 hours in temperature of 160 degrees Celsius, if I remember right. However, since there are mold-spores everywhere in the air, it can quickly catch them up and have a new mold growth.

I haven't used any wood things in my terrariums since the first grapewine nest, which completely molded in just a couple of days. I changed it to a ceramic one and since that I've had absolutely no mold problems at all.

NixHexDude

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm actually wondering if I need any kind of climbing structure seeing as how the little squirt made his web tube in the substrate and never comes out of it. :rolleyes: