Substrate Change

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I am going to attempt a full cage cleaning and I have never done this before. I am a bit new to this particular hobby. I have said before I deal with venomous snakes but not these crazy little (well, not so little) pedes. Does anyone have any suggestions or helpful hints that may make this go a bit smoother. He is about 8 or so inches so i am dealing with a hefty one...any imput is appreciated!

Tony92

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
When my Scolopendra subspinipes china adults cage setup required cleaning due to mite infestation, I put the tank in the bath, with plughole sealed, & used a chopstick to scoop the pede out, taking extreme care it didn't run up the stick, then I used a 1litre plastic coke bottle, with the end bottom piece cut off 2 inches from base, scooped the pede into this, then turned the bottom cut off piece around so it was inside out & used this to seal the base of the bottle, then I put the whole tank inside our microwave, which fortunately is a big micro, so tank could fit in, but not rotate, microwaved it for 10 min, turning the tank every few min, I then gave the substrate a good stir around, & left it to cool down over an hour or so, it killed everything living in the substrate, & allowed me to give the tank glass a good clean inside & out, I popped the pede back in, which fortunately was mite free upon inspection, & its been fine since, I make it a habit to remove ANY prey leftovers immidiately now, hoping to prevent further breakouts.
Obviously, if your tank is to big to pop in micro, still do the above, but then remove all substrate, & give the tank in a clean while in bath with running hot water, then when totally clean, replace with fresh clean substrate.

If your pedes too fast to scoop out with forceps etc, then try putting a shallow plastic sealable sandwich type container with selable lid over it, then slide lid under it & seal, I've used this method plenty of times with fast aggresive Tarantulas & its quick & easy.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks...this is the info i need. I was looking at his tank last night and ya he has a bad mite infestation...a bit of a bummer...I thought the bath tub thing would be a good idea because at least then he shouldn't be able to get out of that right? lets hope so! I have some metal forceps and what not that would most likely be more difficult for him to run up and tag me...and i don't believe his cage will fit into my microwave...is ther a bleach solution or anything that can be used. I also have mite spray for reptiles...any good or no?

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
also i am completely relacing the substrate...i thought that would be a bit easier than trying to kill everything in it...unless thats a bad idea

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
one more question...sorry bout this...he has a corkwood hide...can i boil this or does it go in the trash

CopperInMyVeins

Arachnolord
Old Timer
As someone who just did this last night with my S. alternans, I recommend putting the tank in the tub, then using a smaller container, deli cup, or tupperwear container of some kind with some substrate in it, and use the lid to coax the pede to run into the container, in the case of mine, this was no problem, because it wanted to hide, and went right for the substrate in the container. Could be trickier with yours, but I also always have my 12" forceps on hand. Also, make sure there isn't anything hanging into the tub that would allow the centipede to climb out. Good luck.

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks...i think i am gonna need it...that little bastard is fast...and mean...