heatpads under rubbermaid

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
hey... on the box of exoterra heatpads, it says for "glass terrariums only"..
so i was wondering if for a roach colony, i could stick one on the bottom of a large rubbermaid tub (something like this)?? has anyone done this without problems, or alternately, had some sort of disaster as a result?

thanks! :D
- munis

Zarathustra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I use various kinds of heat pads on Rubbermaid-like boxes, and have been doing so for a couple years without any problems. The box may warp a bit, but nothing more. I say go for it.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Baby roaches can often climb those type of rubbermaid. The opaque plastic ones aren't as smooth as the clear varieties. They can't climb the clear ones.
I use a human heat pad under my roaches with no problem

dr_hemlock2

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
question

my human heating pads turn off after two hours how do you stop them from doing this or are you using a cetain kind that does not. i wish to do this also for my colony or would a red light be better.
"doc":?

border

Arachnopeon
any idea?

:confused:
hey... on the box of exoterra heatpads, it says for "glass terrariums only"..
so i was wondering if for a roach colony, i could stick one on the bottom of a large rubbermaid tub (something like this)?? has anyone done this without problems, or alternately, had some sort of disaster as a result?

thanks! :D
- munis
:confused: Any idea to build a Geckos leopard incubator "hand made":worship:

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
my human heating pads turn off after two hours how do you stop them from doing this or are you using a cetain kind that does not. i wish to do this also for my colony or would a red light be better.
"doc":?

I'm not sure mine is on 24/7. Perhaps check the box it came in to see if that's a feature of the product.

Scarp172

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I use a rubbermaid exactly like that for my dubia colony with three heat mats on it 24/7 (keeps it at about 85F and yes I do need that many for it) works fine, no problems at all.

Disclaimer: I am not liable for any damages incurred by your heat mats on your rubbermaid or to your home or personal possesnions. :)

ScorpDemon

ArachnoScorpion
Old Timer
I use additional heat in the winter months in my critter room in the form of a small electric heater, the kind that blows heat, not the ones with the elements exposed in front. I just put that about 2 feet from the roach bins, and let it blow on them, keeps the hot side between 85 and 95, and the cool side around 70-75.
I have had no melting, warping or anything else.. you can almost watch the colony grow in the winter in my bins.

musihuto

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
i was thinking b. lateralis...
they're not great climbers are they?

also, roaches don't like light...
so if i got a clear one, i would have to cover the exterior in something i guess?

- munis

Baby roaches can often climb those type of rubbermaid. The opaque plastic ones aren't as smooth as the clear varieties. They can't climb the clear ones.
I use a human heat pad under my roaches with no problem

xelda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The opaque totes come in two textures. One is slick whereas the other has just enough roughness to it for roaches and crickets to climb up. When you're at the store, feel the inside of every tote and you'll see what I'm talking about. Lateralis can't climb glass or smooth plastic, but they can and will climb everything else.

Going back to your original question, yes the Exoterra heat pad will work fine. It's just like Flexwatt, if I remember correctly. Zoomed is the brand I'd be more careful with when it comes to plastic. With all heat pads, make sure you follow all the normal conventions: not having the cage and heat pad resting directly on carpet, having the cage raised slightly to allow airflow, and possibly having the heat pad hooked up to a thermostat or dimmer for temperature control.

Dom

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lateralis work better for me with the scorps, especially for raising babies. Dubia nymphs were too large for my baby vittatus. When I did try the dubia nymphs would sometimes burrow into the substrate immediately, leaving me to guess if and when it would get eaten. My geckos prefer them to dubia also.

As Zelda said just make sure the intererior is slick with no texture. The one you showed usually isn't slick on the inside and has just enough texture to allow the babies to climb. I use clear because it's what I had and I keep the clear bin in an opaque box to maximize heat retention.

i was thinking b. lateralis...
they're not great climbers are they?

also, roaches don't like light...
so if i got a clear one, i would have to cover the exterior in something i guess?

- munis