Male Puff Adder

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
A few pictures of my male Puff Adder. I've never found a wild caught Puff Adder with patterns like this one.

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks mate.

It has its on and off days. Somedays a puppy, other days....... well :)

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks.

I've never caught one that looks like this one. Especially considering the area it comes from. All the specimens caught in this area are usually very drab, with a very distinct chevron.

I've also not found one quite as big as this one. They usually range between 3 and 4 feet in that area. That male is just over 5 feet.

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yes, and he thinks he is a Boomslang.

I put him in an enclosure where I usually keep Boomers, and he has climbed all the way to the top branch. Whether he stays there for fear of falling or whether he really likes it is debatable.

ParabuthusKing

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
nice adder

he is beautiful, but do you have a mate for him as I would hate to see such wonderful genes be left out of the gene pool, especially if you said he is not of the standard type often seen in his locality.. cheers.. Nate

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
he is beautiful, but do you have a mate for him as I would hate to see such wonderful genes be left out of the gene pool, especially if you said he is not of the standard type often seen in his locality.. cheers.. Nate

I do. She just needs to grow a bit. :D

Kriegan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
:drool: I'm speechless:eek: in front of such beauty:drool: You're so lucky man! LOL You should breed it and sell me the CB babies{D

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm speechless in front of such beauty You're so lucky man! LOL You should breed it and sell me the CB babies
Well, they have anything from 50 to 80 babies. It would be nice to get rid of some to good homes :D

I can't wait to see their first babies. They will be something else indeed.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, they have anything from 50 to 80 babies. It would be nice to get rid of some to good homes :D

I can't wait to see their first babies. They will be something else indeed.
Very nice snake. Im sure you seen the "cape puffadders" with the black and yellow coloration? Amazing looking snakes.

As for numbers of babies, the record for arietans is 157 and that is the record for all snake species
Good luck getting rid of them! ;)

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Very nice snake. Im sure you seen the "cape puffadders" with the black and yellow coloration? Amazing looking snakes.
We found them almost everyday when I was a boy. The Karoo has more Puff Adders than you can poke a stick at.

Getting rid of them is actually not as daunting as it may seem :)

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
We found them almost everyday when I was a boy. The Karoo has more Puff Adders than you can poke a stick at.

Getting rid of them is actually not as daunting as it may seem :)
If you have any field pictures I would love to see them
In your opinion, what is the best time of the year to visit South Africa for herping?
Have you been in Kwazulu Natal area?

Arietans

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you have any field pictures I would love to see them
In your opinion, what is the best time of the year to visit South Africa for herping?
Have you been in Kwazulu Natal area?
Going to Thabazimbi this weekend. I will take some pics for you. I only have pictures of the specimens I took home.
I've been almost all over Africa. I've spent a great deal of my life in the bush.

The best time of year for herping is right after the first spring rains. Round October.