My spider is molting!

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The whatever it is that I bought yesterday is now on her back molting! :D I can't wait to see what she looks like afterwards....Here's a pic:

invadermike

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yay the "whatever it is" tarantula is molting!!!! Can't wait to see what it looks like now, hopefully not as ugly as before, well it wasn't ugly, but it looked sad :( i'm sure she will turn out beautiful!!!! Post a picture as soon as shes done!!!!! congradulations!!!!!!!!=D =D =D =D =D :}

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That'll be one less big butted Tarantula. :( But anyways, it looks like the coloration of a Juvie Mexican Red Rump to me. But I could be wrong. If it comes out Black with a Reddish bum you've got a Brachypelma vagans.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Godzilla2000
If it comes out Black with a Reddish bum you've got a Brachypelma vagans.
Mmm, not necessarily. Brachypelma angustum also has an overall black coloration with red setae on the abdomen. Another similarity between the two is the creamy outline of the carapace. Easily confused but not quite the same...

I checked out the original "Can you ID this" thread and noticed that the back leg hairs are somewhat longish and appear to have a reddish tint to them. IF this is a Brachypelma species (though the general consensus seemed to be Nhandu), then my guess would actually be Brachypelma angustum because Brachypelma vagans lacks the long, red-tinged hairs on the back legs.

Examples:
B. vagans: www.birdspiders.com/archive/1/0064.htm
B. angustum: www.birdspiders.com/archive/2/0039.htm

Of course, I could be imagining things and there actually are no longish reddish back leg hairs... and this is all assuming, of course, that we are dealing with Brachypelma. I think we're gonna have to go on more than color. Where is Volker?

pategirl, do keep us updated, please! I'm curious to see the ugly duck turned swan!

kellygirl

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well, I'm still stumped...she's pretty now, though. I have a few pictures, but I want to post them one at a time because I don't have enough space where I host pics.

The molt is officially underway after about 4 hours of her being on her back:

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know she wasn't very pretty when I first posted pics, hopefully this will make up for it:

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
Originally posted by pategirl
I know she wasn't very pretty when I first posted pics, hopefully this will make up for it:
Wow! When she hardens she will probably be better to identify, but by just looking at the pic, i agree with Kellygirl with a Brachypelma angustum~! Good Luck!

James

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, that is a beautiful spider! It could be a B. angustum but I'm not seeing the creamy outline of the carapace..... perhaps it's a Lasiodora dificilis? I'm looking for pictures right now...... either way, you've got a gorgeous spider! But I'm sure it would be nice to figure out what it is, eh? ;)

kellygirl

Edit: Naw, I don't think it's a dificilis. They've got that carapace outline as well but their shape looks different. How big is your spider now? Could you post a picture when it spreads out a little more?

Last edited:

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(Does the happy moult moult I don't know what the spider is but it's Real pertiful now dance for pate)

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For comparison

This is one of my adult N. carapoensis females right after a molt.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
The legs don't seem as "spindly" or as black as either of my b. vagans. She does resemble one though.... hmmmmm, could this be our next Arachnocontest.:?

Tangled WWWeb

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I'm sure that's not B. vagans. Look at the shaggy red setae on the femurs that are visible in the last photo. That is not chacteristic of B. vagans.

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I love my whatever it is...especially since that transformation. I gotta fatten her up some once those fangs harden. I will find out what she is...may take longer than thought, but I WILL find out.

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
I currently have fourteen B.vagans of various sizes and I can say that that really doesn't look like one.

Cheers,
Dave

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It's a Nhandu carapoensis....Swifty took a look at the little critter today. I'm glad I know what I'm dealing with now. :)