Emperor's compilation

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Guys you can exchange ideas and questions regarding emps so that it will be regulated and will not make the threads infected with questions about emps. hope this will help.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It will help! I'll go first.

I have a pair of emps, one male and one female. I haven't seen them eat since late August. They always hide in their burrow, and if I disrupt it, they rebuild or expand it. They also always hide together. I've also noticed that of the two, the female is much more aggressive than the male. I moved the male to a transport container by (gently!) picking him up by his telson, and he was very calm about it. If I go anywhere near the female, however, she raises up her pedipalps and tail in a threat posture.

Does anyone think she may be gravid, or is this just normal emp behavior?

edventurous77

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
normal emp behavior. also a scorp that stays in and eats in its burrow is a happy scorp:D

TheImperator

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I got a question as well. My largest Emperor Scorpion hasnt been burrowing since I changed the substrate (100% Eco Earth). He seems fine, but he just sits in one spot. The substrate is already damp, and Im using a temporary heat lamp as a heat source. Did i do so something wrong?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I believe it is just a matter of preference. My male does not dig a burrow. I find him sometimes curled up in my females burrow which is quite extensive but has no desire to dig himself. I've had him for about 10 months maybe and one time he dug under the substrate for no apparent reason. The other time he dig a hole under a small rock when the female gave birth. Other than that nothing, he just lays under his rock all day, as long as you have good humidity, he will be fine.. Do others in the tank dig?
I have a pair of emps, one male and one female.
When I got home from work last night, I shined a small light into my tank to check temp/humidity. Figured I'd give my female a check to see if she made any changes in her burrow. As quick as I shined the light in I saw her claws snap and grab a cricket and quickly transfer it into her mouth... Yours are fine! :)

TheImperator

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes, the other two scorps dig, but I only have 2 Hides right now and they are both occupied. I am gonna get another hide on payday and see what happens. It really sucks that I only get paid ONCE a month. lol

TheImperator

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok...thought I should add a stupid newbie question to the compilation. My large male scorpion still isnt burrowing, it stopped being lazy and is now wandering around and trying to climb the glass...is this common for a P. Imperator in captivity.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My large male scorpion still isnt burrowing, it stopped being lazy and is now wandering around and trying to climb the glass.
Mine did that a lot when I first got my pair. He settled down after a few days and then they both just hid under my hollow half-logs. After a couple more days they started burrowing. How long have you had him?

TheImperator

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had him for more than a year, i believe he is acting this way because I made a substrate change.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Did you just replace the old with new, or did you change the type of substrate? My guess is if it's the former, it smells funny to him and he'll hopefully get used to it. If it's the latter, maybe try switching to the type you were using before. Good luck!

Vaul

Arachnopeon
How often

Just a random question, on average how often do your emps decide to feed? One of my adult females (The Nuisance) has suddenly decided to go from eating once every 3 days to eating about once every 2 weeks at most. Shes not due a moult, or pregnant. No mites, tempreatures ok, shes not massively over weight.

Anyone else get this sort of thing occuring? Its just odd because shes always been very predicatable.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, I haven't seen my emps eat in a couple of months. I've heard they fast for long periods of time. I notice that my female gets really defensive though (maybe gravid? I hear you can only tell if she's popping out babies), and my male looks kind of tubby.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As it becomes that time of the year, certain species "winterize" themselves and hide in their burrows for long periods of time... If no food finds it way twoards them they will eventually venture out... if you put food in there and it NEVER goes away, then you know you have a problem. Also a gravid emp is easy to spot.... they become so fat that you know something is either wrong or shes pregnant.... 99% of the time if they are bulkier than a normal emp it's preg.

as for the person whos male doesn't dig.. you can look up in this post and I wrote that mine doesn't either... I think he enjoys his hide and if it becomes necessary for him to dig to find optimal conditons I'm sure he will.. until then... i dont worry

edit: especially with emps, you may never see them out of their hide.. thats because they wait until there is no movement in the area to come out, the smallest noise (like opening the door) will send them quickly back to their burrow

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
New emp question -- heating

New question . . . I was reading something on Carolina Biological Supply's website saying that scorps tend not to eat when they're too cold. In addition to mine fasting for a long time, I had a small lamp over my Emps last night and one came out and got as close as she could to the light.

Anyone thinking what I'm thinking? Also, if I put a heatpad on the side of one tank, would it warm up the adjacent tank if they're an inch or so apart? Or would it overheat without the room to dissipate?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Big question

We have our own room lightings now if we turn it off and on will this affect with the emps or other scorpions since mother nature only have two lighting system and it is very gradual when it changes from light to darkness what will the scorps attitude be. when they are eating and the room is dark then we turn on the lighht they might think that it is already morning whats your opinion with this guys? for i think the scorps will get confused like people having tarveled from one side to the other side of the globe which have two different time frame. hehehe just a piece of my centis.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I bought a new female yesterdsay which I think is gravid..... but the skin in between her plates it seems yellowish... old age? ... she also has yellowish feather thing in mouth area??

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
she also has yellowish feather thing in mouth area??
That doesn't sound too distressing . . . I bought an H. laoticus recently, and when he was prodding things with his mouthpards, I could see something sort of yellowish and feathery in there. Should be normal.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah it's very weird as all 4 of my previous ones did not have this.. it's quite obvious too...stands out like a sore thumb