Tarantulas taking root in Florida

Pofecks

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Might be old news but after I saw one in my backyard yesterday I thought I'd post this article...

Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

Florida agriculture and Consumer Services Commissioner Charles H. Bronson is trying to educate people about issues surrounding invasive and exotic species. The first of several public service announcements has now been posted on the Department's Division of Plant Industry Web site.

The PSA features an up-close and personal observation of one of the Mexican red rump tarantulas that have become established in Florida after others of the species were released in St. Lucie County. The tarantula featured in the PSA, named Frida, is held by Department spider expert Dr. G.B. Edwards, who explains how important it is for people to treat exotic pets responsibly.

"Florida is constantly bombarded with the introduction of exotic and invasive species which can harm the environment and people need to be aware of the damage that can be done if they bring in these exotics," Bronson said. "This is the first of a series of video PSAs that focus on a particular exotic but we also want people to use our Web site to educate themselves about all exotic and invasive species."

It is estimated that one third of all plants and insects in Florida are exotic or non-native, and many are invasive exotics -- meaning that due to their rapid growth and spread, they have the potential to alter Florida's natural areas, resulting in economic or environmental harm.

The impact that the Mexican red rump tarantula will have on Florida in the future is unknown. The venom is not dangerous to humans.

Surveys indicate that the tarantula has not migrated far from the original location in the Fort Pierce area where it was first identified in 1998 -- though reliable reports of sightings exist from the late 1980s -- indicating the species may have been in the area for over 20 years.

Entomologists conclude the tarantulas have everything they need where they are, and there seems to be enough natural control over them that they are not overpopulating the area and spreading. Therefore, at this time they are not considered to be invasive. However, the long-term implications are unknown at this time.

The rising popularity of the exotic pet trade has led to the release and spread of many species of unwanted animals including Nile monitor lizards, python snakes, certain varieties of parakeets and parrots, Cuban tree frogs, and others. The FDACS encourages the public to be responsible when choosing to own an exotic pet. People who can no longer keep the pet should return it to the store or find it a good home. Do not release exotic pets into the environment to fend for themselves; in many cases they will, and may quickly multiply creating an imbalance in Florida's natural environment.

The PSA can be viewed at www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/videos.html. For more information, call 888-397-1517.

Linky...

http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchive4/110106/tp4de4.htm?date=110106&story=tp4de4.htm

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thats interesting I didnt know that Brachypelma had made it that far into the states. Im guessing they ment Brachypelma vagans. Ive seen reports of avic avics being found in florida as well. I understand how it is not a good thing to do and I never would do it but there is still a part of me that thinks it would be fun to move to FL and let 1000 avic avics go in my back yard;P
scott

paperfly

Arachnopeon
I don't see how T's, in this case the Brachys, are a bad thing or that they can cause environmental damage? Does anyone know what possible environmental impact they are worried about besides overpopulation?

I know I read an article years ago about florida destroying a few large established colonies they had found in an attempt to get rid of them. Didn't even offer to contact interested people to try and re-locate, they just killed them. I nearly cried. Everyone at that time thought they were nothing but pests and dangerous. :wall:

xgrafcorex

Thread Killer
Old Timer
heres another article http://creatures.ifas.ufl.edu/misc/spiders/m_redrump.htm

i actually got in touch with dr edwards about the specific location and made a trip to this old grove (about an hour to an hour and a half drive)...unfortunately i didn't find any vagans. did see a corn or rat snake and several smaller spiders.

heres a thread i started a few months back when i went up there. a few pictures..unfortunately i had set my camera down in the car for a moment and ended up wandering a bit and thats when i found the snake...it slithered off before i could return with my camera. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=73401

my friend just moved down to a part of fl a bit north of this location...i'll probably go up for the weekend and stop by the grove on the way or way back.

psionix

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Entomologists conclude the tarantulas have everything they need where they are, and there seems to be enough natural control over them that they are not overpopulating the area and spreading.
i'm really confused as to why "entomologists" are making comments about spiders...

i'm also confused as to why the FDACS is walking all over USFW's juridiction and why USFW isn't taking issue.

here's an ATS article (read: op-ed) that pertains to this http://atshq.org/articles/tbbspeaks.html for anyone that's interested.

John Apple

Just a guy
Old Timer
Ok here is the location, I see no problems with overcollecting as there are many
header canal and rim ditch
Go west on 70 and hang a right down header canal road go about a mile or so down , there is a pump station and the are mainly on the east side of the canal in silk covered burrows. Easier to find a night cause it is hot as all heck in the day;) . Juvies can be found in the grass stalks. This is a very steep and sandy canal so be careful.
Last year I found 2 P. murinus there, how they got there I don't know:?

Windchaser

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't see how T's, in this case the Brachys, are a bad thing or that they can cause environmental damage? Does anyone know what possible environmental impact they are worried about besides overpopulation?
Maybe you should ask the folks in Australia or New Zealand about non-native species and the havoc they cause.

It is possible that colonies of B. vagan will not have a negative affect on the ecology of Florida but there is always a risk of non-native species disrupting the local ecology. For example, the tarantulas there could end up preying on a specific species of native insect to the point that they disrupt the natural order of things. The decrease in population of this one insect could affect pollination of local plants, the population numbers of other predators in the area or both. Who knows what effect that this could have.

The Great Lakes have been battling several invasive species which are causing problems. The Zebra mussel is one such species. This mussel multiplies quickly while at the same time it depletes the food supply for smaller marine animals. As a result, the larger game fish populations are in decline because their food supply is reduced.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i think Florida is just tried of having this problem!!!it almost seems that it is the melting pot of the animal kingdom....from what i have heard they now have a healthy population of Burmese pythons as well.....

Fingolfin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
but there is still a part of me that thinks it would be fun to move to FL and let 1000 avic avics go in my back yard;P
scott
:D Indeed, thats a fantasy I'm sure some more of us have had as well!

rag

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i wouldnt mind taking a trip down there to dedicate myself to capturing exotic species, keeping what im interested in and selling the rest online for dirt cheap to recover money spent on gas

now all i need to know is whos coming??

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Me, me, me! Except that I live in Oregon, and that's a heckuva lot of gas money. :(

SPIDERBYTE

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmm, I wonder how far into the states rosies could live?
Roseas can tolerate lower temperatures, so it would be interesting to see how far north in the states they might survive. Not that I'd ever do that (besides I live in Canada anyway). And I certainly wouldn't want to displace the T's native to that area either :)

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hmm, I wonder how far into the states rosies could live?
Roseas can tolerate lower temperatures, so it would be interesting to see how far north in the states they might survive. Not that I'd ever do that (besides I live in Canada anyway). And I certainly wouldn't want to displace the T's native to that area either :)
lol they could have a slow race with the A. anax for growth rate lol

Bedlam

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wonder how you become the official spider expert for a state or province? Sounds like some amazing work!!

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Those were some interesting articles.... I wish there was just one native species around me in oregon but sadly there is not. I am going down there this summer and it looks like I might have to take a detour and see what I can find.

Now here is a question, since Brachys are not allowed to be taken out of the wild, I am assuming they mean the T's natural habitat, Florida is not one of their natural habitats, so can in theory we go there and take what we want with no fines or worries?

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
yeah collecting of b.vagans in florida should be totally legal and probaly apreciated by the gov lol

krtrman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
from what i understand the b. vagans here in florida are now protected. i believe that most were found on private property and are therefore off limits to even viewing without permission. i would love to plan a trip even if it is just to spotlight at night and take some field notes.

Tony92

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
On the subject of "letting a few go in the back yard" here in the UK we have fairly severe winters, where obviously no exotic invert/insect could survive, but I've often wondered what would happen if during the warm spring time I left a few quick growing mantid egg sacs in the warmer part of the garden to see would they last till winter, especially after this year where in the uK it turned out to be one of the warmest on record, its all fantasy of course.:embarrassed: