Why Is it Not Advisable to Feed a Tarantula for a Week After Moulting?

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just wondering why we should wait a week... especially since after moulting, my Rosea is so thin.

kyle_de_aussie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The fangs need time to harden up after the moult before they can use them to eat again. Give it at least 5 days to a week before giving it food again, any sooner and your spider will 1. just not eat it or 2. eat it and damage its fangs

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
They wont even take food after a molt. Everything needs time to harden up she is soft as can be after a molt. Some bigger T's won't take food for months after a molt. But with smaller T's like slings they will start taking food again anywhere from 4-10 days. But its just not a good idea to stress them out more by offering them food right after a molt.

sweetmisery

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks guys! And oh, is the color right after moult pretty much the color or will it change when it thickens?

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
They will harden and get a darker, fresher look. Also, besides the fangs, T's shed the entire lining of their stomach in a molt. That also needs time to ready itself to handle the digestion process.

SpiderZone2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Also make sure you give it a drink of water or if it is too small for a container then mist lightly. The colors are so beautiful after a molt. Depending on what species you have the colors become more deeper and brillant as they molt. Most any T I have that is of considerable size I won't feed for 2 weeks after a molt. Some will not even take food for 3 weeks to a month. Depends on the species and size of your T. I don't want to take any chances of injury of the fangs by feeding too soon. So far I have never had any problems that way. Also what Mindutopia had said about the stomach lining. Just best for your T to wait for feeding.