A seemani sling burrowing/eating Q

ILoveHotDogs

Arachnopeon
I have a little A. seemani sling that has been a rabid eater since I got it. I usually feed it a small cricket (1-2 weeks) 2-3 days times a week. It would sometimes not eat, in which case I'd skip a feeding or two before trying again.

Recently it reconstructed its burrow (it lives in a pill bottle) so be spacious at the bottom and give me a nice side view. This is great, and I can see that it is active (will move if I move the bottle or bump the shelf it's on), but it doesn't seem to have any way to get to the surface. It has moved the dirt inside so that it's as high as the lid (used to be about 3/4" room between dirt and lid). The last 3 crickets I have been stuck at the top and never been eaten.

Is she just normally refusing food, or is it possible that she built a burrow that has no access to where the crickets are. If so, should I do anything about it?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
Well, first off, I wouldn't worry. But, how large is the sling? And how long ago was its last molt?

If they burrow, and seal off the entrance, its for a reason. She's just ignoring food for awhile, and could be going into pre-molt.

And did you say you feed it 1 young crik, 2-3 times a week?

Last edited:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pre-moult.

Most of my brachypelma slings will shut themselves off in their burrow before they moult.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
When did it last molt? It could very well be in premolt, most ts will shut themselves in prior to molt.

Leiurus87

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As the others have said, premolt is almost a certainty. My 2.5 incher sealed itself up for a good 5 weeks. Dont worry, the spider will come out when it is ready.