Found something unusual on my room...

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
found it on the basin of water on my room, im using the basin to trap those loose crix, they just jump there and swims towards the piece of wood on the middle so that i can pick them up for recycle.

when i checked my room after i returned from school i found this one, almost eaten by the crix, lost one leg, and damaged its thorax and head.

pics...

on the tip of my index finger

i took pics of that on two's with a little diference on the lighting.
any one knows what it is? and also ive also found some others that are alive outside the window, i thought at first those are ordinary flies but when i got this one i thought i should ask the boards...

and also i found some large fruitflies on my emp tank, they are large, about 1cm.

Nick12007

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No, it's not, it's a kind of fly, but without being able to see the mouthparts, that's about all I can say.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Mosquitoes are flies....

That is familiy Dolichopodidae, the long legged flies. I'll have it to genus soon.... I hope....

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Subfamily Dolichopodinae: There are about 10 recognized genera from your area, I'm gonna take a big stretch and call it Paraclius sp., but that is a big guess and I'm probobly off.

Nick12007

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes they're flies, but not true flies, as would be suggested by someone saying that it was a "fly."

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How are they not "true flies"? Flies are the order Diptera, and mosquitoes are a family in that order. What makes a fly a true fly? It is having one pair of wings and one pair of halteres, and that is exactly what Culicids have.

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I seem to remember a thread that proved nobody here knew much about flies;P

spydrhunter1

Arachnolord
Old Timer
It's a fly family Dolichopodidae is correct. And this and mosquitoes are all in the order Diptera (true flies). I'm an entomologist and spent weeks keying out unknown flies as part of my course work in graduate school.

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the agreed ID. I'm currently in the middle of the process, and am no stranger to countless unknowns as I'll be taking my 6th and 7th entomology classes next semster. Nice to see ent. majors can still get jobs, maybe I have hope!

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
thnx for the id, so it means that it has nothing to do with scorps?