Avic avic vs. Avic braunshauseni vs ...Rick West?

Slide

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok, I did the dumb thing and bought a "Pinktoed" tarantula from Petco (I know, I know..)

They couldn't tell me anything about it, other than what the sign said ('Avicularia spp.'), and even if they could I wouldn't trust them to have the ID right.

But, basically it looks exactly like this photo (from Mr. Rick West's archives): http://www.birdspiders.com/archive/2/0045.htm

Now, from what I've read, the Avic. braunshauseni is pretty much identical to the Avic avic, and most other photos I've found of the A.braunshauseni concur. The photo on Rick's site is the only one I've seen where the spider has the same nearly-black coloration, with the fringes of red satae, and of course the bright pink toes...

Just curious if anyone might have some insight into what I might have on my hands...obviously, hard to tell sans photos of my specimen, and a positive ID is probably not going to happen without a shed skin and some systematics work...but I'm curious what everyone's opinions are.. :)

Thanks!

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My guess is that it's an Avic. avic.(common pink toe). They are wild cought and very abundent. The Avic. braunshauseni are not very common

Hope this helps
Bryan

Slide

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Helps quite a lot, since I was having so much trouble finding pics of any Avics that look like what I have (in most cases, the spider has a turqoise color to it; but mine is such a dark blue it's nearly black). If A.avics come in that sort of color variety, I'll be satisfied calling it a common pinktoe until I can prove otherwise. :)

I'll try and get some pics of it tonight; it's pretty friendly, but it wasn't too keen on the store clerk...heheheh.

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, some A. avicularia do have a deep blue-black coloration, especially directly after a molt. I've found that they get duller and lighter when they are approaching a molt. There seems to be a lot of color variation within the species so I would say you probably have a Guayan Pinktoe. Also, A. braunshauseni, I believe, is one of the larger species of the genus and gets to be pretty big. I think petitegreeneyes has one so maybe she can give you more information.

kellygirl

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Probably a. avic. PETCO doesn't usually only carries common, market-saturated species. Take it outside and look at it in the (cool) sunlight, you'll get a much more accurate idea of the color.

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ya, I agree with the above. Most of the common imports of Avic's are the A. Avic. But the A. avic and the A. braunshauseni do look alike and hard to tell the difference between. Have fun with your new Avic.

Slide

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah...so far, the T's a beauty. Calm, yet active, and a bit webby.. :)

Here's a couple pics I took right after getting it home...

Looking at the pics, and the spider some more, I'm pretty convinced it's an A.avic. Fine with me! :) Now I just need to try and sex it. Doesn't show any of the outward signs of being an adult male, but only measures aboue 3.5" in legspan, so it's probably still subadult...hafta wait for a molt, I think... :)

invertepet

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A. braunshauseni get larger than your average pinktoe - they can be upwards of 7"+ of diagonal legspan! Also, they can have an attitude. I had a nice long-term captive for a while and it would jump on and bite anything that intruded into its tank.

bill

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does your avic have alot of long red hair on the back legs??

Slide

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, it does, as well as the front half of the abdomen. There's some on all of the other six legs, but it's definitely more prominent on the last two.

Cronoss

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Slide
Yeah, it does, as well as the front half of the abdomen. There's some on all of the other six legs, but it's definitely more prominent on the last two.

If that the case then it just might be an A.braunshauseni

Slide

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Originally posted by Cronoss
If that the case then it just might be an A.braunshauseni
Oh.

LOL!

Just when I thought maybe I had it nailed... ;)

Ok, I'll try and get a couple better shots of it tonight, maybe under some better lighting...see what I come up with.

I'm starting to understand why Petco had it listed as "Avicularia spp." =D If it's indeed braunshauseni, I'm definitely dealing with a juvie...

Eats well, though. :D

Oh, and thanks for all the help folks! :D

petitegreeneyes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
O.K. Slide, here you go. A few pics of my Sage. She is what I consider a juvie and is finally on a growing spurt. As you can tell her abdomen is pretty big. I haven't seen as much attitude from her yet as I know she will get. Like Bill said they do get feisty full grown and are prone to bite, not to mention I paid some $'s for her as a sling.

Attachments

Slide

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Here's a couple better shots of whatever it is I have.. :)

Again -- apologies for the photo quality...still working on my photography skillz.. :}

David O

Arachnopeon
Avic Versicolor

I have a new Avic Versicolor. I have not had aborials before. What is the easyest way to get it out of its web without damaging the web?

Static_69

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
David O said:
I have a new Avic Versicolor. I have not had aborials before. What is the easyest way to get it out of its web without damaging the web?
Disturbing the tarantula unless it is in an insane amount of danger for some reason is definitely a no no. That is unless you plan on handling. But it'll put some definite stress on the T if you prod it out of it's web.

Thoth

Arachnopharoah
Old Timer
Question is why do you want to get it out of its web? If its just to handle it? Don't wait till it comes ou on its own if you really want to handle it (a whole other debate). If its to rehouse you could put the smaller container into the larger one. If thats not possible then just gentle prod with a small paint brush or other implement. Or lure it out with a cricket.

Otherwise just let it be which best for the t.

P.S. you probably could have/should have started a new thread.

P.P.S. Welcome to the boards.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmm, interesting. The pinktoe I bought at a petstore, has really fuzzy back legs, like caterpillars. Also has a deep dark blue color. Maybe I got the
braunshauseni too. How common would it be to get one labeled as Pinktoe?

Gesticulator

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
This thread might be helpful. http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=62770
Iwouldn't get too crazed over it, as the Avicularia complex is well, complex. I have two female A avics that look nothing like eachother. One is the typical greenish carapace model, and the other is much larger with red setae on her rump. Are they both A avics? I haven't a clue. What ever yours is, enjoy it. Who knows maybe you have a rare Avic sp.???