WHAT are the largest tarantulas?

penngomifan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi my name is mike and im fairly new to this hobby....... lie actually im not, i used to have over 40 tarantuals, my biggest was a king boon........ she was 8 1/2 inches ........ she was the coolest thing sence television......... but yeh i got rid of them all...... 4 years later i want a few more........ my question is this....... what tarantula species are the biggest?? which ones get the biggest and heaveist? from what i read they are these right here

Theraphosa blondi
Theraphosa apophysis
Lasiodora klugi
pseudotherathosa apophysis

?? is that about right?? and what is the pseudotherathosa apophysis it looks like the name of it is almost the same as Theraphosa apophysis??? are they the same or diffrent??? anyways i know this question has been asked a million times but im just wondering so i know what ones i wanna get??? im thinking of gettting a Lasiodora parahybana i heard and read thoughs can get pretty big.......... o yeh what are some dealers websights?? i live in southern california........ anyways thx guys........ gread board.........

Skypainter

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Pseudotheraphosa apophysis and Theraphosa apophysis are the same thing. Them and Theraphosa blondi are the biggest and heaviest. The males have the largest legspans and the females have the bulk, weighing in at up to six ounces from what I have read.

penngomifan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
o ok thought so...... thx for the reply......... alright well from all the thread searching i been doing i was kinda thinking thoughs two were along with the klugi...... but that is to much money for me now :)

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not the biggest tarantula, but in arboreals...
p.rufilata and p.ornata are really long ,but not fat :)
about 8"+
plus they show beautiful colours!

V3i HoN6

Arachnopeon
Not the biggest tarantula, but in arboreals...
p.rufilata and p.ornata are really long ,but not fat :)
about 8"+
plus they show beautiful colours!
I've seen a Cyriopagopus Thorelli which is about the 9".
It's really amazing.

I heard Ornata can get to 10" but im really not sure.

penngomifan

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
maybe u guys are right......... maybe the klugi is a bit smaller i dont now........ all i know is its a subject with no defenite answer :) but i orderd a parahybana from spiderpatch anyways..... figured it would be easier to take care of to........

reptist

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
L. klugi's claim to fame was in the weight dept, their leg spans are not as long as the 2 theraphosas mentioned and the L parahybana, but they have been rumored to be the heaviest T. nothing as far as I know has been confirmed, PEACE B.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
L. parahybana is generally considered the largest of the genus but they all are very close...an inch or two difference.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
L. parahybana is generally considered the largest of the genus but they all are very close...an inch or two difference.
In a book (the old Smiths tarantula ID guide) the size of several Lasiodora species are more or less the same - the largest there is neither klugi or parahybana but itabunae (length body 75mm) followed by erythrocythara and parahybana 70mm. However, this is not adult* specimens - my Lasiodora parahybana in the freezer is almost 12cm (4,7 inch) in bodylength!
Who is the largest is probably more a individual difference then a genus difference.

*or atleast not their maximum size

lta3398

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a P. cancerides that is growing rather well, and getting to be a good size....but of all my t's....the blondi was my biggest in terms of size, she was a little over 10" when she died, and my parahybana is growing like a weed and seems determined to catch up with her! And yes, the parahybana is really easy to care for :)

TheNatural

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Who is the largest is probably more a individual difference then a genus difference.
I agree 100% I´ve seen giant klugi an parahybana and they look the same size to me, all the biggest I ever seen were in Dr. Rogério Bertani´s collection and there were some of them really huge and bulki.

Another big T that in never mentioned is Nhandu vulpinus, my friend has a huuuge one, almost as big as his blondi.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I think C.thorelli = C.schioedtei and this is a correct name.
No, what we in the hobby used to think was C. thorelli, as far as we know were actually all C. schioedtei.

The true C. thorelli is quite rare, but I don't know its range. He could have seen one before.

Raphael

Arachnopeon
No, what we in the hobby used to think was C. thorelli, as far as we know were actually all C. schioedtei.

The true C. thorelli is quite rare, but I don't know its range. He could have seen one before.
Thanks for info ;)
I wanted to say, spiders sold from thorelli in 99% cases are schioedtei.
Greetings.

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would think about getting maybe 1 or 2 nice terrestrials and 1 arboreal. You can get a T Blondi, and L Parahybana for relatively cheap (if you get them as slings especially). And then C. "blue" (singapore blue) can get up to 8-9" and are a nice beautiful color to go with it.