Ok help needed.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alot of us have been switching to roaches, but as some of you have come to learn some of out Tarantulas don't want anything to do with them. I have had similar things happen, I have actually seen a T strike at a live roach dropped in the tank, but then activly push the roach away from them wanting nothing to do with them.
So I have been trying something with my T's. I feed Dubia, and prior to feeding I rinse them under water. I do this for one reason, dubia as a defense let out a smell very slight but you can smell it. I think T's are repulsed by that smell. So by rinsing the roach it makes the roach secreate that odor and it gets washed away. Most of it at least.....
This is all theory keep in mind.
But I have gotten several of my T's that refused roaches to kill them now.
I would be interested to see what other think, and see if others are willing to try this method to see if any results come from it.
Opinions welcome! :D

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Very interesting! I've never used roaches, but it seems like a plausible technique.

rattler420

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
a sound theory. of course ive never dealt with spiders at all, but some carpet pythons refuse to eat rats, only wanting mice. many times you have to scent the rat, ive even read where ppl have went as far as sewing mouse heads to the rats body. usually after getting them to eat 1 or 2 rats in this manner, they have no problems taking rats in the future. even though reps & arach's are completely diff, maybe the same sorta thing is happening??

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's interesting. I may have to try that and see how it works. I actually have a female that I'm trying to breed and I wanted to fatten her up before I introduce the male. But I can't get her to eat the darn roaches I have for her. She does the same thing. Grabs them and drops them. So I'll give this a try. Keep us posted on any success you have.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ya I am hoping to hear from at least one person that knows what I mean when they offer a T a roach and the T pushes the live roach away... almost trying to say "how dare you feed me this scum"
This method has worked on those T's so far at least.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's interesting. I may have to try that and see how it works. I actually have a female that I'm trying to breed and I wanted to fatten her up before I introduce the male. But I can't get her to eat the darn roaches I have for her. She does the same thing. Grabs them and drops them. So I'll give this a try. Keep us posted on any success you have.
Luke warm water... for a minute or so is about the time I have rinsed for....
Good luck I am very interested in seeing if someone else gets results.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
sounds like a great idea, i hate that defensive stuff, it smells awful. If they can sense, it i dont blame them for not being hungry

Scarp172

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
lol. I never thought about posting this- but I've been doing the same with my dubias for a couple months now. To me their defensive odor smells a lot like urine, so I just started washing them before feeding time under warm water to get rid of the smell. I have also noticed a better feeding response doing this, but the only picky one I have is my scorp A. bicolor) and I have to gouge the dubias and get their guts to ooze out of them a bit before he'll have anything to do with them:cool: . But it's interesting to see someone else is "showering" their roaches pre-feeding time. Anybody else do this?

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
lol. I never thought about posting this- but I've been doing the same with my dubias for a couple months now. To me their defensive odor smells a lot like urine, so I just started washing them before feeding time under warm water to get rid of the smell. I have also noticed a better feeding response doing this, but the only picky one I have is my scorp A. bicolor) and I have to gouge the dubias and get their guts to ooze out of them a bit before he'll have anything to do with them:cool: . But it's interesting to see someone else is "showering" their roaches pre-feeding time. Anybody else do this?
YEs good to know I was not the only one!

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some of my Ts are so reluctant to take roaches. I never thought that may be why. Everyone sings the praises of roaches, thought my Ts must just be weird or something. I will try it, thanks for the great idea!

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Some of my Ts are so reluctant to take roaches. I never thought that may be why. Everyone sings the praises of roaches, thought my Ts must just be weird or something. I will try it, thanks for the great idea!
Gotta agree with that,Jen.My T's hate roaches with a passion.Feed mine on cricks and the bigger girls on hopper locusts.

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ya, I bought two colonies, everyone always talks about how great roaches are. But I was very disappointed. Less than half of my Ts will eat them. They even lift their legs to let the roach walk by! Hopefully giving the roach a "shower" first will work! I haven't been able to find a place that sells locusts.

Melmoth

ArachnoSweetTalker
Old Timer
Ya, I bought two colonies, everyone always talks about how great roaches are. But I was very disappointed. Less than half of my Ts will eat them. They even lift their legs to let the roach walk by! Hopefully giving the roach a "shower" first will work! I haven't been able to find a place that sells locusts.
It's funny you say that. Locusts are always available here in UK,in shops that sell herps and inverts,yet not so in the US.Is it to do with the danger that in warmer parts of the US,they could become indgenous? The bloody winters here would make sure that didn't happen!!!{D

pinkzebra

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Honestly, I am not really sure, George. There may be worries about them becoming a pest, or maybe they just have not yet caught on in the states. Seem to be a good food source though.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I used to feed exclusivly crickets.. I switched to roaches with no problems. Everyone (ts that is) eats them fine. Even the stinkie bullet roaches...
Everyone just has picky tarantulas..You should give them all a good spankin!

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
{D Until they turn around and try to make a good meal out of your finger!

cliff

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have an A. chalcodes who initially took superworms and now refuses them. I thought maybe one bit her and that stopped her, but she will touch and then refuse even a freshly killed one. Nothing ever seems to refuse a nasty old cricket though! I have a roach colony due this week and hope this is not a problem.

Cliff :)