Heterometrus sp.

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi guys,

I got this guy from a german exporter, and dunno the species, have no further infos. Can anyone help me?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
the granulation on the inside of the chela match what I thought was a Laoticus, I think mine may need to be re-evalulated... Do you mind if I post a pic in this thread also?
THanks
EAD

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
this seems to be the easiest way to differentiate between the two:

extract from "Revision of the genus Heterometrus" Couzijn.

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the granulation on the inside of the chela match what I thought was a Laoticus, I think mine may need to be re-evalulated... Do you mind if I post a pic in this thread also?
THanks
EAD
Hi,

No problem! ;)

Thanks for the help everyone....I think I will buy some more. :D

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi guys,

I got some of Heterometrus species as H. scaber. Do they really scaber?

Last edited:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Is the red in the median eyes a result of the camera flash? Or is it normally that color?

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say its the flash but it sure looks cool! lol from what I have read on the Genus it does look like a petersii . same as laoticus with some granulation so I will agree with Ryan :D

Last edited:

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Imre,

Taking a look at this paper it looks completely different than scaber and looks like a petersii IMO.

Cheers.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
We need another Heterometrus person since Carnell left. Those are really healthy looking scorps. I have a couple of Heterometrus and I still not sure what they are. And son of a diddly:wall: !, the female got out yesterday. Time to tear this little house apart. Weird thing is, I usually don't find escapees that way. After I look everywhere and give up, a day or two later I see it walking across the rug when I least expect it to see it.

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi guys,

Red eyes are due to flaslight! ;)

Ryan:
Thanks for the paper! Very useful! :worship:

PS:
Can U help me sexing them? I read threads about it but still not clear.... What should I watch?

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I thought so.. but since it happened in all 3 pictures I was a bit "weirded out". Those papers are very good to keep for the future and are extremely accurate.

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Imre,

Sexing should be easy. Females genital operculum will point down, males' will point up.

Should look something like this. Excuse the crappy drawing. :eek:

Cheers.

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Ryan,

Huge thanks! :worship: Now everything is clear! :D That drawing is veeery useful!! ;) I think not just for me...:rolleyes:

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi again,

I just shot some pics (wasn't easy, in one hand with the cam and the other my tweezers with a scorp :D ). If I understand - what Ryan said - correctly...

Male:

Female:

I hope I can help for others with the pics! ;)
Thanks again Ryan! :)

bengerno

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi All,

I just made some pics of the male and female. Try to watch the differences between their chelae (claws).

The male has a much wider chelae.....If I am correct. ;)
I love them better and better, really cool species! :D