Found my Pinktoe dead :(

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
I had a female pinktoe that was acting very sluggish Sunday. I thought it was pre-molt behavior, so I left her alone. She wasn't moving at all yesterday morning. I laid her on her back, and when I came home last night, she was still like that :(

She didn't respond to anything. I touched her, blew a little on her, everything, and she never moved. I picked her up really easy, and she was really limp. This morning, she still was.

So I know she was dead. But WHY????

She was maybe half grown, and very plump. She wasn't dehydrated or anything. I can't understand how she could just die.

If anyone could give me some ideas, please do.

Thanks!

james41777

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I can't give any ideas but..possibly fungus or lil flies?..
Sorry for your loss! Hope you feel better soon

TheDarkFinder

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
pink toes just die, they just do.

It would be anything. More then likely stress. I have mix luck with pink toes.
I have lost 5 in the last year.

The only noticeable thing with my lost are the size of the container. If it is too big they die. It seems that they have to feel crowded in order to live.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
pink toes just die, they just do.

It would be anything. More then likely stress. I have mix luck with pink toes.
I have lost 5 in the last year.

The only noticeable thing with my lost are the size of the container. If it is too big they die. It seems that they have to feel crowded in order to live.
Well, that does help. I haven't lost pinktoes this way before. She was in a kritter keeper, probably a size large. And it wasn't crowded, maybe that was it? She had a nice web going, ect. She was a really sweet spider. This puts my number of tarantulas down to 34 now :(

Hopefully this won't happen to any of the others. I only have 3 pinktoes left....

Thanks so much for the replies.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, Really sorry to hear that.:( You have to look at all of her suroundings, Substrate, Unsterrel items in the container, Food, Chemicles used to clean around the tanks or in the same room, Tainted water, Parasites. You have to look at everything and concider everything, write all possibilties down and one by one eliminate the ones it can't be. You should be left with a couple in which one will be the culpret. Keep us updated because I will help and would like to know.

Again, Really sorry about the T.:wall:

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Wow, Really sorry to hear that.:( You have to look at all of her suroundings, Substrate, Unsterrel items in the container, Food, Chemicles used to clean around the tanks or in the same room, Tainted water, Parasites. You have to look at everything and concider everything, write all possibilties down and one by one eliminate the ones it can't be. You should be left with a couple in which one will be the culpret. Keep us updated because I will help and would like to know.

Again, Really sorry about the T.:wall:

Thanks for understanding :( It was sad, I just can't understand it. It was so sudden. Her food was crickets, like the others had. She was in the coco fiber bedding, and she had some fake plants to climb on. I mean I am really stumped. I hate having an empty cage :(

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
What was the size of your T compared to the size of the container? :confused: I've had a 3.5 in versicolor in a 30 x 30 x 30 centameter Exoterra tank. I think that's big for her size but it hasn't been a problem for some reason.

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
What was the size of your T compared to the size of the container? :confused: I've had a 3.5 in versicolor in a 30 x 30 x 30 centameter Exoterra tank. I think that's big for her size but it hasn't been a problem for some reason.
It was a large kritter keeper. It was pretty big for the pinktoe. I don't think it did anything to hurt her. But something did. And I don't know what it was.
She was really beautiful.

Arlius

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Maybe ventilation? though I would think KK's have enough (maybe you had some covered?)
One person (don't remember who, sorry) had posted that they provide major ventilation to juvi/adult arboreals. They had those clear plastic cubes, and cut off one side and covered with screen. Since they had increased the ventilation dramatically (wasn't low before) they haven't had any further 'mysterious deaths' where an apparently healthy T just up and dies.
Maybe since KK;s have just top ventilation? Maybe they need more 'air flow'?

Tarangela

Arachnobaron
Maybe ventilation? though I would think KK's have enough (maybe you had some covered?)
One person (don't remember who, sorry) had posted that they provide major ventilation to juvi/adult arboreals. They had those clear plastic cubes, and cut off one side and covered with screen. Since they had increased the ventilation dramatically (wasn't low before) they haven't had any further 'mysterious deaths' where an apparently healthy T just up and dies.
Maybe since KK;s have just top ventilation? Maybe they need more 'air flow'?
Good point! But my KK is well venilated at the top, and that is what most of my spideys are in. It's a strange situation. And I don't want to see it happening to any more of them!

I used to cover some of the tops for humidity, maybe a year ago. But I removed the covering b/c I didn't have the best feeling about it.

Cerbera

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry about your spider... I do worry that this keeps happening to versicolors, and indeed other avics too. I too would have thought that a critter keeper had enough ventilation, and airflow...

We should discuss this thoroughly in this and other threads, and make sure we explore the options, and look at all he factors we can every time we lose a spider, and maybe we can all lose less in the future...

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ventilation

Just a possibility, but, how about stagnant air in the enclosure? Maybe not enough fresh air getting all thru the enclosure? about 8 months ago, I didnt feel ok with only having some vent holes in near the top of my containers, and went for the 'chimney' effect, having lotsa of air holes at evenly spaced rows up and down the container, so air is drawn in from the bottom and flows throughout the container, with plenty coming in at different levels. I felt that with only a few levels of holes, there wasnt enought air movement, and the containers seemed to be staying a little too moist. Since the change, my substrate is drier, and little to no condensation on the sides, due to fresher air flow. Something to discuss?

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
same exact thing happen to my p. murinis last year. it just died.